This white chicken lasagna is such a creamy, and cheesy lasagna made with a homemade white sauce, layers of shredded chicken, spinach, cheese, and pasta. Perfect for a comforting meal at home!
Instead of classic lasagna, this white chicken lasagna is made with shredded chicken and a creamy white sauce. It’s so tasty, cheesy, hearty, and of course delicious, and everyone will love it.
I love all things pasta, from pasta salads like this chicken caesar pasta salad, to one pot sausage pasta, or a yummy fettucine alfredo, I can never say no to a big heaping plate of warm pasta. This white chicken lasagna is one of my favorites too. It’s the perfect cheesy, hearty, filling pasta dish – and all those with a carb addiction like me, will be just as in love with it as I am.
How to make white chicken lasagna?
You’ll start by preheating your oven and preparing your baking pan by spraying it with nonstick spray.
Then move onto your sauce, you’ll melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Then add in the chopped onions, and minced garlic and cook for a few minutes until the onions are tender. Add in the flour, and salt and pepper and whisk it together to make a nice thick paste. Slowly pour in the chicken broth and milk and stir it all together. Let the sauce until it is thickened and then remove it from the heat. Stir in half the mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese, the basil and oregano.
Pour about 1/3 of the sauce into the bottom of your prepared pan. Spread a layer of noodles over the sauce. Spread half of the ricotta cheese over the noodles, then half the chicken, and half the spinach. Smother in 1/3 more of the sauce, and repeat the layers again. Top with the remaining noodles, sauce, and cheese.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 40-50 minutes until the sauce is bubbly, the cheese is melted and golden, and the dish is hot throughout. Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to set for about 10 minutes to let the sauce thicken, then slice it up and serve.
Is white chicken lasagna freezer friendly?
This white chicken lasagna is freezer friendly. You can make a double batch of the lasagna so you can have one pan for right now, and one pan for one of those days when you desperately need a good home cooked meal, but are too tired and bust to make one. Or make a double batch and enjoy one for your family, and take a meal to a friend.
How to freeze white chicken lasagna?
If you want to freeze this for later, you’ll make the pasta up to the last step, where you put it in the oven to bake. Instead cover it with heavy duty foil, and then a giant resealable freezer safe bag. I also like to use those disposable 9×9 tin containers to keep one of pans from being in the freezer for a couple months, and to help keep the mess down later.
The frozen lasagna can stay good in the freezer for 3 to 4 months.
When you’re ready to bake it you can thaw it overnight in the fridge. If the dish is full thawed, then bake at 350 degrees F for about 30-40 minutes with the foil still on, then remove the foil for the last 10 minutes or so, until the top is golden brown and the dish is nice and bubbly and hot throughout. If it is still partially frozen in the middle, add an extra 10-20 minutes to the total baking time.
If you want to cook it from frozen you can, though it will take a lot longer to bake. It will probably take an extra 30-40 minutes to bake.
This dish is so delicious. It’s perfect served along with a yummy side salad, and garlic bread for the ultimate comfort meal. It’s so yummy, I’m sure your family will gobble it right up. And it’s sure to be a new favorite!
Looking for more lasagna recipes?
- Slow Cooker Lasagna
- Zucchini Lasagna
- Lasagna Soup
- Chicken Alfredo Lasagna Roll Ups
- Classic Lasagna on Tastes of Lizzy T
- Instant Pot Lasagna on Spaceships & Laser Beams
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
White Chicken Lasagna
For the White Sauce:
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 11/2 cups whole milk
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese (divided)
- 1 cup fresh grated parmesan (divided)
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
For Assembling the Lasagna:
- 2 cups ricotta
- 9 no-boil lasagna noodles (or pre-boiled dried regular lasagna noodles)
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 6 oz fresh baby spinach
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a 9x13 dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
For the White Sauce:
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium low heat.
- Add the onions and garlic. Cook until the onions are tender.
- Add the flour, salt, and pepper, and whisk it into the butter.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth and the milk. And stir it all together.
- Simmer until slightly thickened and then remove from heat.
- Stir in 2 cups of mozzarella, 1/4 cup of the parmesan, basil, and oregano.
For Assembling the Lasagna:
- Pour 1/3 of your sauce mixture into your prepared pan.
- Layer the noodles followed by half the ricotta, half the chicken, and half of the fresh spinach.
- Smother in 1/3 of the sauce and repeat the layers once more.
- Top with the remaining noodles, sauce, and cheese.
- Bake 40-50 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Allow to set for about 10 minutes, then slice it up and serve.
This white chicken lasagna was first posted on May 22, 2014. The photos and text were updated on August 7, 2020.
This white chicken lasagna was originally shared from my friend Jesseca at One Sweet Appetite. She has so many amazing recipes on her blog, including these s’more cupcakes. She has multiple amazing cook books too. Be sure to follow her: Facebook – Pinterest – Instagram – Twitter