Does reading Tomato Squash Bisque peak your interest in this soup? First off, did you know bisque means a creamy soup that is usually shellfish or vegetables. This soup is a delicious combination of vegetables with fresh tomatoes, delicata squash (you can use butternut squash instead), basil, and heavy cream (thus the creaminess).
I started from scratch with my stewed tomatoes and my roasted squash because I had a very quiet, calm Sunday afternoon and the time. If you are not so luckily or just want to make it easier on yourself, please do not hesitate to purchase precut and/or precooked butternut squash and a lovely can of Italian-style stewed tomatoes.
By using already prepared vegetables this Tomato Squash Bisque can be put together quite quickly for a weeknight dinner. Add some fresh bread, a salad and you have a delicious healthy dinner. I love the subtle flavors of the tomato, squash, and basil, I think you will too.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked squash (recipe below or purchase prepared squash - either delicata or butternut)
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1/4 cup finely diced onions
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Italian-style stewed tomatoes (fresh made recipe below)
- 1 cup chicken broth (if you want to make this vegetarian use vegetable broth)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Optional - 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp dried basil
- Place your cooked squash in your blender
- In a medium saucepan, melt 1 Tbs butter
- Add your onion and garlic and saute until tender and translucent
- Add your sauteed onion and garlic to the blender and pulse
- Add your stewed tomatoes to the blender and process until smooth
- Pour your mixture back into the saucepan and add your chicken broth, cream, and additional herbs as needed
- Stir to combine
- Warm throughout but do not bring to a boil (to avoid curdling the cream)
- Serve immediately
- 1 medium butternut or delicate squash
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut your squash in half long ways
- Scoop out the seeds and pulp
- Place your squash cut side down in a 9x13 pan
- Add enough water to cover 1/4 inch of your pan
- Cover your squash with foil
- Bake for 1 hour or until fork tender, adding 10 minutes at a time if needed
- Let cool for 15 minutes and then scoop the meat of the squash to use in your soup (if you have more than 1 1/2 cups freeze the leftovers for another time)
- 5 to 6 large ripe tomatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 Tbs dried parsley
- 3/4 Tbs dried basil
- 1/2 Tbs oregano
- 1/2 Tbs Italian spices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all your ingredients in a small crock pot
- Simmer on high for 3 hours (remove lid if necessary to let some of the liquid evaporate)
Enjoy this delicious and creamy tomato and squash soup.
If you love tomato soup you will love this bisque and if you don’t love tomato soup you will love this bisque.