This Taco Soup is such a hearty, filling soup that is so easy to make and so delicious. You can make it in the slow cooker, or on the stove top!
This easy taco soup recipe was one of the first recipes I shared here on the blog back in December of 2011. Eleven years later and this soup is still one of our favorites. It’s such a great dinner option for a cold day, or just when we want something easy and comforting!
This soup is made by tossing everything into the crock pot (you do need to pre-brown the ground beef) and then let it all simmer for a couple hours until the flavors are mixed well and everything is hot. You’ll come back into your kitchen after an afternoon of playing, or working to the most delicious aroma.
Try this keto taco casserole for another yummy dinner idea.
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Taco Soup recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- lean ground beef: you can substitute ground chicken or ground turkey too
- can of corn: you can substitute 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, or fresh.
- can of black beans: you can substitute pinto beans, or kidney beans, etc.
- taco seasoning: use a homemade taco seasoning if you want
- salsa: your favorite salsa works great
- tomato sauce: you can substitute stewed or diced tomatoes if you like your soup even chunkier
How to make Taco Soup?
- Add the ground beef to a medium saute pan and cook over medium heat until browned. Drain the grease out of the pan.
- Add the ground beef, and the remaining ingredients (corn, beans, taco seasoning, salsa, and tomato sauce) to the slow cooker and stir it all together. (Alternatively cook the beef in a deep pot or dutch oven, drain, and add the ingredients to that pot to cook everything on the stove top.)
- Cook the mixture in the slow cooker on low for 5-6 hours, or on high for 3 hours.
- Serve the soup hot with your favorite toppings.
Tips and Tricks:
- Make sure to drain the excess fat from the ground beef to remove extra oil from the recipe.
- This soup is super customizable, add in some extra spices for more flavor. Add in some diced green chiles or diced jalapenos for spice. Try different meats, different beans, or even different vegetables, like bell pepper, or onion.
- Try making the soup vegetarian by skipping the ground beef and adding an extra can or two of beans.
- Add 1/2 to 1 cup of beef broth, or vegetable broth if you want your soup to be a little saucier.
- Add 4oz of cream cheese to the soup by cutting it into cubes and adding it to the soup at the end, stir it together until the cream cheese is melted.
Taco Soup Toppings:
Top this taco soup with your favorite taco toppings, here are some of my favorites.
- Tortilla Chips or Tortilla Strips
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Dollop of Sour Cream or Crema
- Diced Tomatoes or Pico de Gallo
- Diced Avocado or a dollop of Guacamole
- Diced Green Onions
- Diced Jalapenos
- Fresh Cilantro
- Squeeze of Lime Juice from fresh lime wedges
How to store Leftovers?
Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. I think it might taste even better the next day. You can reheat the leftovers in a pot on the stove top, or in a bowl in the microwave until hot and steaming.
The soup can also be frozen in a ziplock bag or freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight, then reheat it in a large pot on the stove until hot throughout.
This easy taco soup is such a great recipe when you need something warm, that doesn’t need a lot of attention. It’s perfect for a cold day, or any day of the year, and is a meal the whole family will love. It would be a fun alternate for taco night, with its zesty flavors and goodness.
Looking for more easy soup recipes?
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Cheesy Baked Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 15 oz can of corn (not drained)
- 15 oz can of black beans (not drained)
- 15 oz can tomato sauce (or stewed tomatoes)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 TBS taco seasoning
- Add the ground beef to a large saute pan and cook over medium heat, crumbling into pieces as it browns. Drain out the grease.
- Transfer the ground beef to the bottom of a slow cooker, and add corn, black beans, tomato sauce, salsa, and taco seasoning. Stir it all together.
- Cook the mixture on low for about 6 hours, or on high for 3.**
- Serve soup hot, topped with desired toppings (sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips, etc)
This taco soup was first posted on December 11, 2011. The photos and blog text were updated on January 9, 2023.