Homemade Italian seasoned croutons are flavorful crunchy crispy croutons. Perfect topping your favorite salads and soups.
How to make croutons?
Homemade croutons are one of the easiest things to make. You will only need 6 ingredients for these croutons. You will need bread, olive oil, a mix of italian seasonings (I use basil, oregano, and parsley) and a little parmesan cheese, if desired.
It’s best to use bread that is a day, or two or three, old because it will already be starting to dry out which makes it better for crunch croutons. You’ll dice up your bread into whatever size crouton you want. I like mine to be about 1/2 to 1 inch.
You’ll sprinkle the bread all over with the olive oil in a medium sized bowl, and toss it all to coat it. You’ll continue tossing it and add in your seasonings and parmesan cheese.
Pour it all out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, in a single layer. You don’t want them touching too much, which would prevent them from getting crispy.
Bake them up until they are nice and crispy, flipping once half way through to ensure even crispiness.
Now your croutons are ready to use, or you can store them in an airtight container for about 2 weeks.
I’ve literally made these with old hot dog buns, french bread, rolls, etc. You’ll just want something thick to make the best croutons.
This homemade croutons recipe is perfect for taking your salads or soups to the next level.
Looking for more Ways to Use Croutons?
- Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad
- Chicken Berry Salad
- Pear Blackberry Salad
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Tomato Basil Soup
- Asparagus Soup
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
- 1 loaf french bread (about 12 oz)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice up bread into half inch by inch pieces.
- Put bread pieces in a medium sized bowl and sprinkle with olive oil, as you stir with your hands to coat.
- Sprinkle the spices and parmesan cheese over the bread, and continue stirring to coat the bread completely.
- Spread the croutons evenly in a single over prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 12 to 15 minutes, flipping half way through. Until croutons are crisped and lightly golden.
- Serve as desired, or store in an airtight container till ready to use.