BBQ sauce, sweet peppers, red onions, chicken all a top homemade pizza crust for a BBQ chicken pizza that will have you coming back for more.
We love pizza! Do you love pizza? Whether you do or not, I think we have a winner for a favorite pizza, this BBQ chicken pizza!
For the majority of my life when people asked me the question “what’s your favorite food” I said pizza. Eventually I felt a little silly saying that and started to branch to sometimes say chicken enchiladas, which I love, but I think pizza is still the victor.
Pizza is so great because you can make it so many different ways; marinara sauce, calzone style, BBQ sauce, Thai sauce, alfredo sauce, veggie, meat lovers, thin crust, NY style, or stuffed, you get my drift. Pizza is marvelous because just about anything you want is delicious on a pizza. I believe you will find this BBQ chicken pizza qualifies, maybe even more than qualifies because any pizza that wants you coming back for more will be come a favorite.
We made this BBQ chicken pizza with a homemade crust but you are welcome to use your favorite homemade crust, a premade crust, or premade dough. Whichever is your favorite or easiest for you. And you will find this pizza is quite easy to make too.
Preheat your oven to 500 degrees, I know hot hot hot! Preheat with the pizza stone or baking sheet inside. If you have a pizza peel – which if you are a pizza baker I highly recommend getting one, it will make your pizza life so much easier – roll out or stretch your pizza dough to the size you want it. Spread a little bbq sauce on top, just enough to cover the dough. Sprinkle 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese over the top of the sauce. Now you will layer on the bell peppers, red onions, and cooked chicken. Sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella cheese over all that and viola your bbq chicken pizza is ready to bake.
A couple of tips for the best pizza:
1)invest in a pizza stone, this will give you that crispy bottom crust you so love
2)invest in a pizza peel, using a little corn meal on it will make getting that pizza into your oven 100 times easier
3)use a rotisserie chicken for ease or when you cook chicken, cook a little extra for pizza
4)have everything sliced, shredded, and chopped before putting together the pizza
5)presoak the sliced red onions for 10 minutes in cold water, pat to dry – this removes some of the bitterness of onions
6)preheat oven to 500 degrees for 30 minutes, so that oven is ready to bake the pizza quickly
Let’s get started because I want me some pizza!!!!
BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour (shifted and divided)
- 2 TBS white sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 TBS oil (olive or canola or vegetable)
- 2 TBS corn meal
BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 1 batch pizza dough
- 2/3 cup bbq sauce (use your favorite - we like a sweet one for this recipe)
- 1 chicken breast (cooked and shredded)
- 1/3 red onion (sliced thin)
- 1/2 yellow or orange pepper (sliced thin)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 4 stems cilantro (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees with pizza stone inside
- Mix together yeast, salt, warm water, and sugar until dissolved
- Let sit for 5 minutes
- Mix in 1/4 cup at a time of the flour into the wet ingredients (leaving out 1/4 cup flour for later)
- If using a mixer, let the dough hook knead and mix the dough for about 5 to 8 minutes - otherwise knead and mix by hand for 5 minutes
- Now hand knead in the remaining 1/4 cup of flour a little at a time until the dough is not sticky but not dry (you might not use all the flour)
- Form dough into a ball - you can save about 1/3 to 1/2 of the dough for a 2nd pizza
- Sprinkle corn meal over the pizza peel - this helps the pizza dough not to stick
- Place ball of dough on the pizza peel
- Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes
- Tap the dough down with your fingers until it is flatten slightly
- Spread the dough into a circle using your hands kind of in a windshield wiper motion until it is the size you want (if you are confident, toss the dough to widen)
- Top with favorite pizza toppings
BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Preslice pepper and red onions
- Shred mozzarella cheese
- Shred or cut cooked chicken into bite size pieces
- Spread 1/3 cup or more if needed of BBQ sauce over the pizza dough
- Sprinkle 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese over the BBQ sauce
- Layer on top of the cheese, yellow pepper, red onions, and shredded chicken
- Top with the remaining mozzarella cheese
- Slide onto the pizza stone or baking sheet in the 500 degree preheated oven
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven with pizza peel
- Top with chopped cilantro
- Let cool for a couple of minutes before slicing and serving
What is your favorite pizza?
Original recipe posted March 16, 2012; recipe and photos updated January 29, 2020.