This Philly Cheesesteak pizza is the best way to have the flavors of a Philly Cheesesteak at home. It’s cheesy, topped with veggies, and loaded with meat and is the perfect for pizza lovers.
This Philly Cheesesteak Pizza has a delicious soft pizza dough topped with creamy alfredo sauce, lots of mozzarella cheese, tender steak, bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms all baked to perfection. It’s great for dinner any night of the week, is a delicious option for a pizza night, a game day food, party food, you name it.
This pizza has so much goodness loaded onto it, it’s delicious beefy, cheesy, goodness. You won’t be able to stop at one slice.
I’ve had Philly cheesesteak sandwiches, but not one from Philadelphia (or anywhere in Pennsylvania, so do they still count?). And I used to make them all the time when I worked at a sports grill at my university campus. We loaded them up with sauteed onions, green bell peppers, mushrooms, and delicious tender beef slices all on a hoagie roll that was spread with lots of cream cheese.
I knew for my pizza version, creamy alfredo sauce would be the perfect sauce substitute. You can use your favorite homemade alfredo (or a cream cheese alfredo might be the perfect in between option), or just grab a jar of your favorite from the grocery store.
Besides how delicious this pizza is, you’ll also love how easy it is. If you want to make your own pizza dough, go for it – but we can get some raw pizza dough from the baker at our local grocery store and that keeps it extra easy for me.
Why You’ll Love this Pizza:
- Easy to make, with quick substitutes so you don’t have to make everything from scratch
- Cheesy. The combination of the cheesy alfredo sauce, and cheesy topped pizza makes this such a delicious comfort food.
- Less expensive than ordering pizza from your favorite pizza shop.
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Philly Cheesesteak Pizza Recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- Olive Oil – helps cook up the vegetables
- Yellow Onion – sliced up thin
- Green Bell Pepper – you can substitute a red pepper, or whatever your favorite is.
- Mushrooms – Slice them thin
- Thin Sliced Beef or Flank Steak – Ribeye steak is the traditional cut of meat to use, but our grocery store often sells Beef Sizzle Steak, or other thin sliced meat that is already cut so you don’t have to do that part
- Worcestershire Sauce – Gives the beef just a little flavor
- Salt and Black Pepper – to season the beef
- Pizza Dough – use your favorite homemade pizza crust recipe, or grab one from the bakery, or other area of the grocery store.
- Alfredo Sauce – use your favorite homemade, or store bought
- Mozzarella Cheese – shredding the beef yourself is best, but you can buy pre-shredded for ease.
How to make Philly Cheesesteak Pizza?
- Add a little olive oil to a large skillet, and add in the onion, green peppers, and mushroom over medium heat. Cook them, stirring often for a couple minutes until the vegetables start to soften, then set them aside.
- Raise the temperature of your stove top a little higher, to medium high heat, and add in the sliced beef, add in the Worcestershire sauce, and sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook a couple of minutes until the meat is just browed.
- Roll pizza dough out on a pizza paddle topped with corn flour (half corn meal, half flour) and spread it to your desired thickness.
- Spread the alfredo sauce over the top of the pizza dough, to about 1/2 inch from the edge of the dough.
- Sprinkle some of the mozzarella cheese over the top of the sauce. Spread the cooked veggies and meat evenly over the top of the pizza soft. And sprinkle a little more cheese over the top of everything.
- Transfer the pizza to the hot pizza stone, and bake pizza until the crust edges are golden and the cheese is melted every where.
Customize this pizza however you like it by leaving off the ingredients you don’t like, or adding more that you do like. Here are some other yummy pizza toppings that would be good, but aren’t as traditional for philly cheesesteaks.
- Sweet Peppers
- Banana peppers
- Jalapeno Peppers
- Diced Tomatoes
- Bacon Pieces
- Provolone Cheese
- Parmesan Cheese
Tips and Tricks:
- Use a pizza stone if you have one. This will get your crust cooking quicker in the oven, and will give it a crispier bottom, and soft and chewy middle.
- If you don’t have a pizza stone, bake the pizza on a large baking sheet, or pizza pan.
How to store leftovers?
Add leftover pizza slices to an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the oven, airfryer, microwave, or on the stove top.
I don’t recommend freezing this pizza because the vegetables get too soft when frozen and thawed.
To Reheat Pizza in the Oven:
Place the pizza on a baking sheet at heat it in an oven heated to 450 F about 10 minutes, or until hot.
To Reheat Pizza in the Air Fryer:
Add pizza slices to the air fryer basket and cook for 4 to 6 minutes at 350F.
To Reheat Pizza in the Microwave:
Add the pizza to a plate and microwave in 20 second increments until hot, and cheese is melted. It won’t stay crunchy in the microwave, but is still good in a snap.
To Reheat Pizza on the Stove Top:
Add a skillet to medium heat on the stove and add pizza slices to the pan with a loose lid on top (make sure it doesn’t seal so it doesn’t steam). Cook until the bottom is crispy and cheesy is melted on top.
This is the best philly cheesesteak pizza. The pizza is golden, bubbly, cheesy, deliciousness that tastes like a philly cheesesteak sandwich meets pizza. You won’t regret making it!
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees with a pizza stone inside.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat with olive oil. Add in the vegetables and saute them for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until they start to soften. Set them aside.
- Change the heat on the stove top to be a little higher and put the thin sliced beef in the pan. Pour in the Worcestershire sauce, and sprinkle the salt and pepper, and cook the beef for about 1-2 minute until just browned. Set it aside.
- Spread out the pizza dough on a pizza paddle lined with a mixture of 1 TBS flour, 1 TBS corn meal. Roll the crust out to the desired thickness.
- Spread the Alfredo Sauce over the top of the dough, to about 1/2 inch from the edge.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over the top of your sauce.
- Spread the vegetables and meat over the top of the cheese evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the toppings.
- Transfer the pizza to the preheated oven (if you don't have a pizza stone, put it on a cookie sheet) and bake it in the preheated oven for about 8 to 12 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the cheesy is melted and bubbly.
- Let the pizza cool for a couple of minutes, then slice it and enjoy.
This Philly Cheesesteak pizza was first posted on October 13, 2014. The photos and text were updated for clarity on January 30, 2023.
This post was original sponsored by Ragú®. All opinions are my own.