This pizza dough recipe, is so delicious and easy. It’s only 6 ingredients, and made in one bowl for the perfect crust for your favorite homemade pizza.
This homemade pizza dough is the perfect starter recipe for making your own pizza crust for pizza night. This pizza dough recipe makes the perfect soft and chewy pizza dough, that is delicious topped with your favorite pizza toppings.
We love making homemade pizzas a couple of times a month, we have an Ooni pizza oven, which makes the best pizzas! But since you might not all have a pizza oven, this recipe is made with instructions to use your regular oven for baking your pizza.
It’s a simple, basic, super easy pizza dough recipe that is so easy for beginners and advanced bakers alike. You can make the dough all in one big bowl, with a stand mixer, or with your hands, and with only a few minutes of hands on time, and a short time for letting the dough rise – then you’re ready to roll out your dough and make some delicious pizzas!
Ingredients needed to make Pizza Dough:
- warm water – this helps activate the yeast. The best temperature for the water is between 100 to 110 F, but I never measure, just check that it’s warm to touch, and not hot or that will kill your yeast.
- granulated sugar – this helps activate the yeast. It’s not too much to make your dough sweet.
- instant yeast – this helps your dough to rise, making it soft and fluffy and not dense.
- olive oil – this helps make the dough nice and soft, and also gives it a little yummy flavor.
- salt – this adds a little flavor to the dough.
- all purpose flour – this is the base ingredient for the dough, holds it all together to make your crust.
How to make homemade Pizza Dough?
- Add the water, sugar and yeast together to a large bowl, stir them together quickly, then let it rest for a few minutes.
- Add in the olive oil, and salt. Then 1 cup at a time, add in the flour, while mixing. Once the dough has formed a ball, knead it for about 5 minutes, until it is nice and soft.
- Grease a bowl (the same bowl works great) and roll the dough all around to coat it on all sides in the oil (or cooking spray). And cover the bowl with a light towel and let the dough rise until doubled in size.
- Once the dough is risen, roll it out on a floured surface into one or two pizza crusts at your desired thickness. (I can get two 12 inch pizzas out of it)
- Place the dough onto a round baking sheet lined, or a pizza peel lightly coated in flour and corn meal, and cover it with your choice of toppings.
- Bake the pizza in your preheated oven until the cheese is golden and the crust is cooked through.
Tips for making homemade Pizza Dough:
- You can substitute 00 flour for a chewier pizza crust. You can substitute bread flour for a slightly crispier crust.
- If the dough is still sticky after adding all the flour as called for in the recipe, add in 1 TBS more of flour at a time until the dough is no longer sticky, or sticking to the bowl.
- If the dough is too dry after adding the flour as directed, add in 1 TBS of water.
- Add in about 1/4 teaspoon of your choice of herbs or seasonings to give the dough a little more flavor. I like adding in garlic powder, or dried basil or oregano.
- If your house is especially cold, heat your oven to 150 F, then turn it off. Add the dough in the bowl into the warm oven with the door slightly open, this will give your dough a warm environment to rise in.
Next pizza night, you’ll be happier than ever with this homemade pizza dough for your crust. Top the dough with all your favorite toppings for a delicious pizza that your whole family will love!
- BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Chicken Alfredo Pizza
- Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
- Thai Chicken Pizza
- Italian Salami Pizza
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Email
For the Pizza Dough:
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 TBS white sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast (1 pkg)
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- In a large bowl, add warm water, sugar, and yeast and whisk them together. Let it sit for about 5 minutes to proof the yeast.
- Add the olive oil, and salt.
- Mix in the flour 1 cup at a time, stirring in between each cupful. (If the dough is still sticking to the side of the bowl, add 1 TBS at a time until it's no longer sticky. If it's too dry, add in 1 TBS of water)
- Once all flour is added, knead with the dough hook or by hand for about 5 minutes. (The dough should be soft and bounce back slowly when poked with a finger, if it doesn't bounce back, knead it for a little longer).
- Roll the dough into a ball, put it in a lightly oiled bowl, and cover and place the bowl in a warm area.
- Let the dough rise until it is doubled in size, about 30 minutes. (Longer if your room is cold). (If you're not baking the pizzas immediately, cover the dough and place it in the fridge, until ready)
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit, when the dough is ready or almost ready. Put a pizza stone into the oven and let it preheat for 30 minutes, if you have one.
- Once the dough has doubled, punch the dough down to remove any air bubbles.
- Lightly flour a flat surface, and roll the dough out with your hands or a rolling pin, to spread it out into two 12 inches circles, or you can do 1 bigger thicker pizza, or about 4 individual sized pizzas, depending on your preferences.
- Transfer the prepared dough to a pizza paddle sprinkled with a little cornmeal and flour. (If you're not using a pizza stone in the oven, transfer the pizza dough instead to a large cookie sheet or metal pizza pan lined with parchment, and bake it on that pan).
- Add your favorite sauce, cheese, and topping options.
- Bake the pizza in the preheated oven until the crust is cooked through, and the cheese is golden brown. About 8-12 minutes.
- Let the pizza rest for about 3-4 minutes, then slice and serve pizza hot.
This pizza dough recipe was first posted on June 3, 2011. The photos and text were updated for clarity on January 28, 2022.
Leave a Reply