Goat cheese tops this mini pizza with lots of veggies and pesto. It is just right for one.
I love pizza, I love pizza with yummy ingredients like goat cheese, veggies, artichoke hearts, and pesto. I LOVE this goat cheese personal pizza. My hubbie, Craig has been out of town for a few days working in Mississippi and so I have been preparing dinner only for myself. I have been trying hard to prepare a healthy meal for myself and not just fall back on things like cold cereal since I was only cooking for one. But I wanted something that was also not too time consuming and fill that need for my taste bud cravings too. You know the kind, the one that you want something really yummy like pizza, but you want to be healthy too. This goat cheese personal pizza is just the ticket. I chose to use my basil pesto as the sauce, a little cheddar/monterey jack cheese, with a tasty vegetable mix of orange peppers, onions, tomatoes, and artichoke hearts along with a little crumbled bacon (oh yes, it has bacon on it too – did I forget to mention the BACON) and a final topping of goat cheese.
I used my favorite pizza crust recipe from Mark Bitman’s How to Cook Everything cookbook, but you can use your own homemade pizza dough recipe or a store bought pizza dough. This dough recipe makes enough for 4 personal pizzas or 2 full sized pizzas. You can bake all the pizzas if you want or you can freeze the dough in a ball once you have let in rise the first time. It freezes well and can be used easily at a later date for more goat cheese personal pizzas or any other favorite pizza like Aimee’s BBQ chicken pizza or my spinach artichoke pizza. I think I am beginning to see a trend here with artichokes on pizza – even this past weekend our whole family met in SF and we had pizza at this marvelous little pizza place called Carmel Pizza Company and Craig ordered ours with artichokes! (if you are ever in SF along Fisherman’s Wharf and in the mood for pizza I truly recommend stopping here, the pizza was so fresh and delicious – it is wood fired! and no, this is not a sponsored statement, it was just really good pizza and I thought I would let you know about it)
Can’t you tell we are having a wonderful time!?! So I digress, back to this goat cheese personal pizza, I think you could choose the vegetables you want on it but don’t skip the bacon, pesto sauce, and goat cheese – altogether they add just the right amount of deliciousness.
Goat Cheese Personal Pizza
- 1 recipe pizza dough (for 9 inch pizza)
- 2 TBS basil pesto
- 1/2 cup cheddar/monterey jack cheese (shredded)
- 2 slices bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 1 small orange pepper (sliced or chopped)
- 1/8 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 medium tomato (sliced_
- 2 to 3 artichoke hearts (drained and chopped)
- 5 to 8 tsp goat cheese
- Preheat your oven to 500 degrees
- Place your pizza stone inside while the oven is heating up
- On a pizza peel sprinkled with cornmeal roll out your pizza dough to about 9 inches diameter and 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thick
- Spread your basil pesto all over the pizza dough
- Sprinkle your shredded cheese over the top of the sauce
- Spread your peppers and onion evenly over your cheese
- Next crumble your bacon over the vegetables
- Layer your sliced tomatoes over everything
- Spread your artichoke hearts and the goat cheese over everything else
- Once your oven and stone are at 500 degrees use your pizza peel to slide your personal pizza onto the stone
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cool enough to eat without burning your tongue (because you know how easily pizza cheese and hot tomatoes burn your mouth)
Enjoy this fresh and delicious personal pizza when you need lunch or dinner. Oh and did I mention this pizza has bacon on it?