This breakfast casserole is the perfect dish for breakfast or brunch, it’s loaded with eggs, bacon, hashed browns, and cheese all in a delicious, casserole that is perfect for a crowd.
I have eaten a few different breakfast casseroles in my life, some are filled with sausage, some with bacon, some with broccoli, some with onions and peppers – but all have been delicious.
This breakfast casserole is loaded with all things delicious, but can also be customized to your tastes, with different flavors that you like.
It can be made in advanced, so it’s perfect for a make ahead Christmas breakfast, New Year’s Day brunch, Easter brunch, or any time you just want a hearty and delicious savory breakfast! Serve it up with some fresh fruit, and of course cinnamon rolls, and juice.
This recipe is perfect for a big group or the recipe can be halved for a smaller group. As is the recipe makes enough for about 12 people, but depending on how many other things you serve it with it could serve up to 16 or so in smaller portions.
Breakfast Casserole Variations:
- Instead of bacon, use the same amount of sausage, ham, turkey bacon, or even ground beef.
- Instead of onion and peppers, add in mushrooms, asparagus, or even broccoli.
- Instead of cheddar cheese, try pepperjack, swiss, colby jack, etc.
- Try adding in 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of Italian seasonings to the egg mixture.
- For a kick, add in a dash of hot sauce to the egg mixture, about 1 teaspoon is good.
How to make a Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole?
This breakfast casserole is SO EASY to make. It only takes about 5 minutes of prep time, then some baking time, and voila.
First you’ll cook up your bacon in a large skillet. Remove the bacon and drain out the extra grease and add your onions and bell pepper pieces to cook for a few minutes. Set aside once they’re soft.
In a large bowl, mix together your eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. In another bowl, mix together your hash browns, cheese, and bacon. Scoop the hash brown mixture into a greased baking dish and pout the egg mixture all over the top of it. Sprinkle with a bit more cheese.
Now you can cover the dish up and save it overnight to bake in the morning, or you can pop it right in the oven and bake it till it’s hot throughout and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Make Ahead Instructions:
If you want to make it the night before, cover the pan with foil and refrigerate it overnight until the morning. You can keep it in the fridge for up to 48 hours. Remove the pan from the fridge while the oven is preheating.
It may take a few minutes extra to bake if kept in the fridge overnight, as the center may be quite cold.
How to Store Breakfast Casserole?
If you have any leftovers, cover the rest of the pan up with foil, and keep it in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. Reheat it in the oven or microwave until warm, and enjoy!
Personally I love slicing up a portion of this breakfast casserole and topping mine with salsa, or ketchup, but it’s delicious on it’s own as well.
This savory hash brown breakfast casserole is a perfect make ahead breakfast, making it a great solution for the holidays, or other busy days. It’s full of eggs, hashbrowns, bacon, and cheese, and is perfect for a hearty breakfast or brunch.
Looking for more breakfast recipes?
- Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Breakfast Pizza
- Homemade Granola
- Berry Fruit Crepes
- Pecan Sticky Buns
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
- 16 oz bacon
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 bell pepper (diced)
- 4 cups hash browns (approximately)
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (to taste)
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, if you're baking right away. And grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- Cook bacon in a large saute pan. Set bacon aside, and drain out the grease.
- Add onion and bell pepper to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, until they are soft, and the onion is translucent.
- Stir together your eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, stir together your bacon, onion, bell pepper, hash browns, and 2 1/2 cups of cheese.
- Scoop the hash brown mixture into the prepared pan.
- Pour the egg mixture over everything.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the hash browns.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the center is cooked through (and a knife can be inserted and comes our clean)
- Let it cool for about 5 to 10 minutes, before slicing and serving.
- Top with fresh chives, or parsley when serving, if desired.
This breakfast casserole was posted first on October 7, 2013. The photos and recipe were updated on December 18, 2020.