This brownie pie is the best of both worlds with a gooey, chocolatey brownie all stuffed in a buttery, and flakey pie crust! Don’t forget the ice cream!
This brownie pie is such a fun dessert. It’s the perfect mash up of two favorite desserts. A flaky pie crust filled with fudgy brownies. What could be better?
This pie is perfect for practically any occasion. It’s quick enough to make for any night of the week. Serve it up after dinner with some friends, or how fun would it be to enjoy a brownie pie at the pie table on Thanksgiving? I know I couldn’t say no to a slice, and all the people who don’t normally love pie will definitely go crazy for this one!
In my opinion brownies need ice cream, (of course you can leave it off too). But a perfect rich fudgy chocolatey slice of brownie pie served al a mode. The ice cream melts perfectly on top of the warm brownies, and cuts some of the rich chocolate flavor. It’s the perfect hot and cold dessert.
How to make Brownie Pie?
Start with the pie crust, you can make a homemade crust, or you can use a store bought crust. So if you’re making your own crust you will combine the flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
Then add in the cold butter pieces and mix them into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or two forks. (I’ve heard you can also use a food processor, but I haven’t tried it yet). Until you have a nice crumbly mixture, with a few big pieces of butter still in there.
Add in the ice cold water and mix it all together until you have a nice dough. Roll it into a ball, then flatten it out into a 1inch thick disk. Cover it with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours.
When you’re ready to make the pie, roll the crust out into an 11inch circle, that is about 1/8inch thick. Transfer the pie crust into a 9inch pie pan and press it down into the edges of the pan. Crimp the edges of the crust with a fork of your fingers. Keep it in the fridge until the batter is ready.
Mix the butter and sugar in a large bowl until combined. Then add in the eggs, and vanilla and mix it together until the mixture lightens up a little bit in color.
Add in the dry ingredients; flour, cocoa powder, and salt and fold it all together until you have a nice batter. Then fold in most of the chocolate chips. Scoop the brownie batter into the prepared pie crust, and spread the top out evenly. Then sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips over the top of the batter.
Bake the pie in the preheated oven, until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs. Or you can let it cook until it comes out clean if you want it less fudgy in the middle.
Let the chocolate brownie pie cool for at least 20 minutes then slice it up and serve it with ice cream on top. (You can also let it cool completely if you want cleaner slices in your brownie). But don’t forget the scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Tips for making Brownie Pie:
- You can use a store bought refrigerated pie crust, or homemade pie crust. I’ve left the recipe for my go to pie crust, but your favorite recipe will work too. Or a store bought crust works great in a jiffy.
- It may be cheating, but you can also use a box of brownie mix instead of making the homemade brownies filling for this pie. Use an 18oz brownie mix, mixed with the eggs, oil, and water according to the directions and pour it in!
- If you want a more crunchy pie crust, you can prebake the pie crust before filling. Preheat the oven to 400 F and spread out the pie, filling the crust with pie weights or dry beans. Bake the pie for 15-20 minutes, until golden.
- Add some nuts, walnuts or pecans are great to add a nice crunch to your brownie filling.
- Add some delicious candy bar pieces into the brownie filling. Some good choices are M&Ms, Reeses Pieces, chopped up Peanut Butter Cups, Rolos, Milky Way, etc.
How to Store leftover Brownie Pie?
If you have any leftover pie, cover it with some plastic wrap and keep it at room temperature. It will stay good for up to 3 days.
Reheat the leftovers in the microwave, or in an oven at 300 F for 10 to 15 minutes, or until warm.
This fudge brownie pie is the perfect, rich, chocolate dessert. Top it with a scoop of ice cream, whipped cream, and some chocolate hot fudge and you’ve got your new favorite dessert!
More Brownie Recipes:
- Brownie Trifle Cups
- Mug Brownie Recipe
- Slutty Brownies
- Cheesecake Swirl Brownies
- Chocolate Brownie Ice Cream
- Double Chocolate Brownies
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Email
For the Pie Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 TBS white granulated sugar (optional)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (cold)
- 1/4 cup ice water
For the Brownies:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 TBS vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips (divided)
For the Pie Crust:
- Stir together the flour, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Cube your butter, and add it into the mixture. Using a pastry cutter (or two forks) cut the butter into the flour mixture, until it is well distributed and you have a sand like consistency, with some pea sized pieces throughout.
- Drizzle in the ice water, and stir it in the crust. Stir it all together with a rubber spatula.
- Once the dough starts to clump together, continue working the dough with flour houses, until it is a nice dough ball.
- Flatten the dough into a 1inch thick circular disk.
- Cover the dough in plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for at least 2 hours, up to 4 days.
For the Brownies:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll the pie crust out onto a lightly floured surface until it is about 12inches around, and 1/8inch thick.
- Transfer the pie crust into a 9inch pie plate, into the bottom and edges. Crimp the edges with your fingers or a fork. Place it in the fridge until you're ready to pour the batter in.
- Whisk together the butter and sugar in a medium sized bowl until combined.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and beat for another minute until the color lightens a bit.
- Add in the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Fold in 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pie crust.
- Sprinkle the remaining heaping 2 TBS of chocolate chips over the top of the batter.
- Bake the pie for 30 to 40 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted and comes out with a few moist crumbs. (Cover the pie crust with foil if it starts to get too brown).
- Let the brownie pie cool in the pan for 15 to 20 minutes, then slice into it and serve. (Or let it sit for an hour to have the brownies set more).
Oh my! This is the most insanely delicious dessert I could’ve dreamed up. Best of both worlds and amazing with a scoop of ice cream.