These cream cheese brownies are the best of both worlds. Combing fudgy brownies with smooth cheesecake into one decadent dessert – its the dessert combination you didn’t know you needed.
Every time I make these brownies for different events with family and friends, I get asked for the recipe. It’s always a favorite dessert, that everyone goes crazy for, and one you need to add to your repetoir.
These brownies start with a boxed brownie mix from the store, and are taken to the next level with a few extra ingredients to make a cream cheese cheesecake filling. This makes them fancy enough for any occasion, but easy enough for a weeknight dessert.
This recipe is a sneak peak from my cook book 50 Fixes for Brownie Mixes! Its one of 50 recipes in the book that all start with a boxed brownie mix.
The best Cream Cheese Brownies
- The best mix of flavors – These brownies offer the best of both worlds – rich, dense chocolatey brownies swirled with the silky, tangy, sweetness of a cheesecake filling swirled together to make an irresistible dessert.
- Beautiful brownies – The marbled effect of the white cream cheese layer against the chocolate brownie makes them look so pretty!
- Perfect for any occasion – These brownies are perfect for when you’re hosting a special occasion, like a baby shower, birthday party, or potluck. Or if you’re simply treating yourself or your family to something sweet.
- Quick and Easy – Because these start with a brownie mix, they’re super easy to make. The hardest part is waiting for the brownies to cool down so you can slice into them.
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Cheesecake Swirled Recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- brownie mix – pick your favorite, just check the size
- eggs, oil, and water – as called for on the box of brownie mix
- cream cheese – you’ll use 1.5 packages of the block cream cheese, not the spread kind
- granulated sugar
- one egg
- all purpose flour – just helps the cheesecake hold its shape
- vanilla extract
How to make Cheesecake Brownies
- Make the brownie mix – Add the dry brownie mix, eggs, oil, and water to a large bowl and stir them together until combined.
- Make the cheesecake filling – Beat the cream cheese blocks in a bowl with a hand mixer or stand mixer until it is smooth. Add in the sugar, egg, flour, and vanilla and mix until just combined.
- Marble them together – Add most of the brownie mix to a lined 9×13 pan, reserving about 1/2 cup for later. Spoon the cheesecake filling on top of the brownie mix. Dollop the remaining brownie mix in spoonfuls on top of the cream cheese filling. Then use a knife to swirl them together, creating the marble effect.
- Bake the brownies – Place the brownie pan in the oven to bake until a toothpick can be inserted and comes out clean, or with a few crumbs (but no runny batter). Let the brownies cool to room temperature, or cool them for about 30 minutes at room temperature, then in the fridge. Slice and enjoy.
Tips and Tricks
- Use room temperature ingredients – Let your cream cheese and eggs come to room temperature to ensure that the brownies and especially the cheesecake filling come together smoothly.
- Avoid overmixing – Mix the brownie batter and the cheesecake batter until they are just combined to avoid a bad texture.
- Experiment with Flavors – Add different extracts to the brownie mix to make mint cheesecake brownies. Or try adding swirls of raspberry or strawberry jam, or caramel sauce.
Cover the brownies with a lid, or transfer them to an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 5 days.
You can also freeze the brownies, by wrapping individual pieces in plastic wrap, then storing those in a ziplock bag and freezing. Freeze them for up to 3 months. Thaw the brownies in the refrigerator before serving.
Can I use a different size pan?
These brownies are already very thick baked in a 9×13 pan, so I don’t recommend using a different sized pan, unless that’s all you have. A smaller pan will result in a much thicker brownie, and will add a lot of baking time.
Can I use low fat cream cheese?
Full fat cream cheese will provide the creamiest texture for the cheesecake filling, but you can use low fat cream cheese (or Neufchatel Cheese) instead. It has less fat, and more moisture, so the texture will be slightly different.
These cheesecake brownies are the beautiful marriage of textures, flavors, and will elevate your brownie to new heights. They’re a timeless treat, that is sure to become a staple in your dessert repertoire.
More Brownie Recipes
- Brownie Batter Dip
- Brownie Pie
- Mug Brownie
- Buckeye Brownie Cookies
- Cosmic Brownie Ice Cream
- Double Chocolate Brownies
- Slutty Brownies
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Cheesecake Swirled Brownies
- 1 18 oz box brownie mix
- egg, oil and water (as listed on box of brownie mix)
For the Cheesecake Swirl:
- 12 oz cream cheese, or Neufchatel cream cheese (1 1/2 8oz packages)
- 1 large egg
- 1 TBS all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven according to directions on brownie mix.
- Prepare brownie mix according to package directions and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, beat the cream cheese for a couple of minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add in the egg, flour, sugar and vanilla and stir mixture till combined.
- Pour all but about 1/2 cup of the brownie batter into a prepared 9×13 pan.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture on top of the brownie batter.
- Spoon the remaining brownie batter onto the top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Using a knife, swirl the cream cheese and brownie batter together, creating a marbled effect.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the middle comes out mostly clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting into pieces.
These cheesecake brownies were first posted on September 23, 2016. The photos and text were updated for clarity on February 5, 2024.