This gooey caramel popcorn is the best, with a super easy microwavable caramel coating, you won’t be able to resist going back for more!
I actually don’t love store bought caramel popcorn. Its too hard, and I don’t really love the flavor. But homemade caramel popcorn is amazing. And this treat is so easy, that I have made it 3 times in the last month or so. (So, if you are only a fan of store bought caramel popcorn, this might not be the recipe for you). But let me tell you, it is delicious, and soft, and caramely, and perfect. Yum.
It’s the perfect late night, or afternoon snack. Or it’s perfect for sharing a bagful with neighbors for the holidays.
This microwave caramel popcorn is super easy to make, and can be made from start to finish in less than 10 minutes. That’s my kind of recipe 😉
How to make microwave caramel popcorn?
First you’ll need to pop your popcorn. You can use an air popper, cook it on the stove top, or even use a couple bags of microwave popcorn to make it super easy! Set the popcorn aside in a giant bowl, or two large bowls.
Combine your butter, sugar, brown sugar, condensed milk, and corn syrup in a medium sized microwave safe bowl. Microwave the caramel in 2 minute increments, stirring after each one. Do this three times. Add in some baking soda and vanilla extract and it will fizz up some more when you do. Stir it all together nicely.
Pour the caramel all over the top of your popped popcorn and toss the popcorn until it’s fully coated.
It really is that easy! You’ll be ready to gobble up this amazing caramel popcorn in no time! The only dangerous thing is how easy it is, you’ll want to make it often 😉
Looking for more Caramel Recipes?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
- 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn (5 quarts popped corn)
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk (1/2 can)
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Meanwhile, pop corn. (Using a popcorn popper, or if you know how to do it on the stove top). Place in a giant bowl, or 2 large bowls. Set aside
- In a medium sized microwave safe bowl, put butter, white sugar, brown sugar, condensed milk and corn syrup.
- Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir. Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir. Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir. (6 minutes total).
- When caramel is done microwaving, add vanilla and baking soda. Stir.
- Pour about half of the caramel over one of the bowls of popcorn. Stir.
- Add a little more popcorn then a little more caramel, while stirring, until everything is added.
Recipe first posted on April 8, 2012. Photos updated on September 9, 2019