This chocolate chunk pizookie is the best deep dish chocolate chip cookie, that is giant, and thick, and soft, and gooey in the middle. It’s perfect served with ice cream.
This chocolate chunk pizookie is the perfect warm dessert. With slightly crispy edges, a delicious gooey center, and lots of chocolate chunks in every bite. It’s the perfect dessert served warm with a few scoops of vanilla ice cream on top.
Most pizookie recipes just say to use any cookie dough from your favorite recipe, or store bought cookie dough to fill a small pan – but I wanted to make sure we had a recipe that makes just the right amount of cookie dough to fill one 10 inch skillet.
It’s one of my favorite easy desserts, that will totally satisfy your sweet tooth any time you need it! From deciding you want a treat to ready to eat, this can be in your mouth and your belly in less than 30 minutes.
What is a Pizookie?
A pizookie, cazookie, deep dish cookie, whatever you want to call it is a giant cookie baked in a deep dish pan. Often underbaked a little to keep the middle of the cookie soft and gooey, it’s best served warm with ice cream on top.
You may have tried a pizookie if you’ve been to BJ’s Restaurant before. Nate and I went there on our first trip together, before we were even dating. And now we have a favorite local dessert place called The Chocolate that we always love to order their pizookie. It’s one of my favorite desserts in the world.
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie Recipe. The specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- unsalted butter
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour
- baking soda
- chocolate chunks or chocolate chips
How to make a Pizookie?
The dough for a pizookie is made in the same way as any other drop style cookie dough, until the end when you bake it up in a pan instead of individual cookies.
- Cream the butter and sugars together in a large bowl. Then add in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Add in the dry ingredients, flour, baking soda, and salt and mix them together until you have a nice cookie dough.
- Then fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Press the cookie dough into a greased skillet.
- Bake the deep dish cookie until the top is golden and the middle is still a little underbaked.
- Let the dish cool for a few minutes, then top with ice cream and enjoy warm!
Tips and Tricks:
- Stuff your cookie dough with any type of chocolate chips or chocolate chunks (white chocolate, peanut butter chips, etc.) or your favorite chopped chocolate bars or candy bars or cookies (reeses pieces, chopped up milky way, m&ms, chopped oreos, you name it).
- This cookie dough can also be baked in four 5inch pans if you want to make more individual desserts, and not share one bigger pan.
- Bake the pizookie in an 8inch skillet if you want it a little thicker.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is a pizookie made of?
A pizookie is a giant chocolate chip cookie. It’s made of all the same ingredients as a typical chocolate chip cookie would be, butter, sugars, flour, chocolate chips, etc.
How to store pizookie leftovers?
If you know you won’t eat your whole pizookie at once, and will want to save some for later I recommend not putting the ice cream directly on top of the dessert, but instead slicing up individual slices and topping those with the ice cream.
This way you will be able to store any leftover skillet cookie in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 or 4 days. Warm it up in the microwave for a few seconds to enjoy it like it’s hot out of the oven again.
This giant warm cookie is one of my favorite desserts. It’s the perfect late night treat when my sweet tooth craving strikes. Don’t forget the ice cream on top!
More chocolate chip cookie recipes:
- Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Levain Cookie Recipe
- Edible Cookie Dough for One
- Salted Caramel Pretzel Cookies
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Chocolate Chip Pizookie
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips (plus extra on top if desired)
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a 10inch cast iron skillet. Set it aside.
- Cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in a large bowl for a couple of minutes until nice and creamy.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract and stir until just combined.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir until it is just combined and you have a nice soft cookie dough.
- Add in the chocolate chips, and fold them into the cookie dough.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared skillet. Spread the dough evenly across the top.
- Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake the cookie until the sides are golden brown, and the middle is still slightly under baked, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve warm topped with scoops of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate or caramel sauce.
This chocolate chunk pizookie was first posted on January 21, 2013. The photos and text were updated on February 10, 2023.