This chocolate peanut butter ice cream is a delicious chocolatey ice cream swirled with thick ribbons of creamy peanut butter making it the perfect ice cream for chocolate and peanut butter lovers.
This homemade chocolate peanut butter ice cream is so tasty! This chocolate ice cream is a delicious egg free ice cream, that is thick, creamy, and so delicious! It’s extra rich with two types of chocolate in the ice cream, both melted chocolate and cocoa powder.
We love the combination of chocolate and peanut butter over here. It might even be our favorite flavor combination, with our chocolate peanut butter bundt cake, chocolate peanut butter trail mix, or chocolate peanut butter fudge.
This homemade ice cream is deliciously creamy, rich, and chocolatey – with delicious swirls of peanut butter, it’s a match made in heaven.
July Ice Cream Challenge:
We’ve started something new this year, where we do a monthly recipe challenge. For the month of July, the theme is ice cream! At the end of the month, I’ll randomly select one entry to be the winner and send them a $100 Amazon Gift Card.
Here’s How to enter our July Ice Cream Challenge:
- Choose any ice cream recipe from our website, and make it! It could be any ice cream recipe recipe from our site! We have a great variety of ice cream recipes, you’re bound to find something you love from custards, to no cook, to no churn ice creams. Here are some of my favorites: strawberry ice cream, vanilla ice cream, cake batter ice cream, chocolate brownie ice cream, mint chocolate ice cream, and more.
- Send me a picture of the recipe you made. Snap a quick picture on your phone and email it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can DM it to me on instagram @lmldfood.
- Get Bonus Entries by leaving a comment with a review on the recipe you made. Make sure to let me know in the comment that you made it for our July Ice Cream Recipe Challenge so I can keep track!
- Make as many ice cream recipes as you want, and get entered each time you make one and send me a photo.
The challenge is open to anyone over 18 years of age, and runs from July 1st, 2021 to July 31, 2021. The winner will be randomly selected. The odds of winning depend on how many entries are received. I will reach out via email or Instagram to notify the winner on August 1, 2021.
How to make Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream?
You’ll need an ice cream maker for this recipe, so make sure to freeze the bowl for your ice cream maker at least 12 hours before you want to churn your ice cream.
Chop up the chocolate and place it into a medium to large bowl.
Add the heavy cream, whole milk, sugar and cocoa powder to a medium sized sauce pan and heat over medium. Stir it all together and continue cooking until the cocoa powder and sugar are dissolved into the mixture.
Pour the heavy cream mixture over the chocolate and let it sit for about a minute to help the hot cream melt the chocolate. Then whisk it all together until the chocolate is totally melted. Then stir in the vanilla extract and a dash of salt.
Cover the bowl and place the mixture in the fridge to chill for an hour or two.
When you’re ready to make the ice cream, start your ice cream maker and let it do the hard work, pour the liquid chocolate mixture into the running ice cream maker and let it run according to the manufactures directions.
When the ice cream is done churning scoop it into a 2quart, scoop in about 1/4 to 1/3 of the ice cream at a time, thin drizzle some melted peanut butter over the top, then more ice cream, more peanut butter more ice cream. You get it. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and aluminum foil and place it in the freezer to get nice and solid for at least 6 hours, or longer (I usually do overnight).
Then when you’re ready, scoop up the ice cream and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks:
- Add in up to 1 cup of mix-ins into your ice cream, I really like adding chopped up brownie pieces, mini peanut butter cups, chocolate chips, chocolate chunks or pretzels.
- If you want a darker chocolate ice cream, try using dark cocoa powder, or a dark chocolate bar.
- For the creamiest ice cream definitely stick with the heavy cream, and whole milk as called for – but for a little bit lighter ice cream you can substitute half and half and a lower fat milk if desired.
- Natural peanut butter or conventional peanut butter should work for this recipe. Just make sure to stir it up well before adding the peanut butter swirl to the ice cream to get the right texture.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What brands make chocolate peanut butter ice cream?
You can find lots of different brands of chocolate peanut butter ice cream at the grocery store or most likely get a scoop at your favorite ice cream shop. Some of the brands are Ben and Jerry’s, Breyers, Talenti, Baskin Robbins, and more.
But I think you’ll love this homemade chocolate peanut butter ice cream just as much if you’re willing to try making some at home.
How to store ice cream?
Homemade ice cream is best when stored in an airtight freezer-friendly container with a lid in the coldest part of your freezer, so maybe the back right corner, or however your freezer is ;).
Storing the ice cream with a lid, and getting it back in the freezer shortly after scooping your ice cream cone will ensure the best results and help to prevent your ice cream from getting freezer burned, or ice crystals on it. The ice cream will taste its best within the first 2 to 3 weeks.
This homemade chocolate peanut butter ice cream recipe makes the perfect ice cream to satisfy your sweet tooth. It’s perfect for chocolate peanut butter lovers, with a rich chocolate flavor, and delicious chunks of peanut butter throughout. And you’ll want to make it all summer long!
More ice cream recipes:
- No Churn Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream
- Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- Chocolate Brownie Ice Cream
- Rocky Road Ice Cream
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 oz semi sweet chocolate (coarsely chopped)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- Add the heavy cream, milk, cocoa powder, and sugar to a medium sized sauce pan and heat through over medium high heat until the sugar is dissolved. Whisk everything together as it heats.
- Add the chopped chocolate to a medium sized bowl. Pour the cream mixture over the top of the chocolate and let it sit for about 1 minute. Whisk it all together until the chocolate is melted and can be stirred in completely.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and salt.
- Place the mixture in the fridge for at least 2 hours, up to 24 hours.
- Pour the mixture into a 2QT sized ice cream maker, and let the ice cream maker run according to the manufactures directions, or until the ice cream is churned into a thick soft serve ice cream.
- Microwave the peanut butter for 30 seconds, until it is nice and runny.
- Scoop about 1/3 of the ice cream into a 2 QT container, then drizzle about 1/3 of the peanut butter over the top of the ice cream.
- Repeat with more ice cream, more peanut butter, more ice cream, and more peanut butter.
- Cover the ice cream and place it in the freezer for 6 hours, or overnight, for a thicker, harder, hand scooped ice cream.
- Ice Cream Maker
This chocolate peanut butter ice cream was first posted on August 11, 2011. The photos and text were updated for clarity on July 2, 2021.