These easy Swedish Meatballs are covered in a rich and creamy sauce that is ready in about 15 minutes. They’re perfect served over noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.
My favorite types of meals are ones that are made quickly, easily, and that my whole family loves. These Swedish meatballs perfectly fit that description.
Swedish meatballs are one of those ultimate comfort food type of dishes. Who doesn’t love meatballs, topped with a rich and creamy, gravy like sauce. They’re so delicious served over pasta noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes. Carbs + meat + creamy sauce = the best kind of comfort meals.
I used frozen meatballs, to help this meal come together extra quickly. You can of course make your own homemade meatballs, which will add about 30 minutes time to your dish. But with meatballs from the store, this dish comes together in about 15 minutes, which makes this dish a win in my book.
How to make Swedish Meatballs?
While you are preparing your swedish meatball sauce, you’ll want to prepare your carbs at the same time. Whether you’re cooking up some egg noodles like I did, where you’ll need to boil the water and cook the noodles according to their directions, or cooking up some rice or mashed potatoes (of course those two will take longer if you’re not using instant rice, or store bought mashed potatoes, but sometimes we just want easy).
Then make your sauce. In a large saute pan you’ll add some butter until it is melted. Add in flour to the butter to make a nice roux, and cook it until it’s starts to turn a bit brown. Pour in your beef broth, and then heavy creamy slowly, and stir the mixture until it’s nice and smooth. Add in the Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Let the sauce simmer on low heat while you heat up your meatballs.
If you’re using frozen meatballs, you’ll just want to microwave them according to package directions, or about 5 minutes. They don’t need to be all the way hot, since they’ll continue to warm up in the sauce. Once they’re mostly warm, add them to the sauce, and continue to simmer it all about 5 minutes.
Then scoop up the meatballs and sauce and serve them over your noodles, rice, or potatoes.
Swedish meatballs are a delicious, hearty, and comforting meal. The creamy gravy like sauce is perfect with the meatballs, and on top of your favorite carbs.
This recipe is perfect for busy moms like me, or anyone who wants a quick meal. Who wants to be in the kitchen slaving over a meal, when you can have something quick and delicious like these swedish meatballs ready in almost no time?!
More Easy Dinners:
Easy Swedish Meatballs
- 1 12 oz package egg noodles (optional)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (to taste)
- 20 frozen meatballs
- Boil water and cook egg noodles according to package directions. (Or heat up your rice, or mashed potatoes) When done cooking, drain and set aside till needed.
- Add butter to a large saute pan or skillet over medium high heat until it is melted.
- Whisk in the flour until it is clumpy, then continue to stir it, and allow it to cook until it starts to turn brown.
- Slowly pour in the beef broth and the heavy cream until smooth, whisking as you pour in the liquids.
- Stir in the Worcestershire, salt, and pepper.
- Lower the heat, and let your sauce continue to simmer.
- Microwave your meatballs according to package directions, or about 5 minutes (they don't need to fully heat up since they will simmer with the sauce)
- Add the meatballs to sauce and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
- Serve sauce and meatballs however desired, and enjoy.
These easy swedish meatballs were first posted on June 23, 2017. The photos and text of the post were updated for clarity on February 17, 2021.