These ginger molasses cookies have the perfect soft and chewy texture, are packed with the perfect blend of spices, and have the best flavors. These are one of the best holiday cookies.
These ginger molasses cookies have a soft and crinkly texture, with slightly crispy edges, and just the right amount of chewiness. They’re so delicious, I make multiple batches every year around the holidays. And every time I wonder why I don’t make them all year long.
The cookies aren’t too puffy which gives them their nice chewy flavor. They have a nice crackly tops, and are so pretty, with their perfectly sparkly edges, thanks to being rolled in granulated sugar.
The cookies are easy to make, and don’t require any chilling, so you can be eating warm, soft, and chewy ginger molasses cookies in less than 30 minutes! They make your house smell heavenly as they start baking, you’ll want to make them all the time too.
They’re perfect for a holiday party, cookie exchange, or cookie plates your sharing with your neighbors.
Ingredients Needed to make Soft Ginger Molasses Cookies:
- Butter – unsalted, and softened to keep these nice and chewy
- Brown and Granulated Sugars – gives them the perfect sweetness and chewiness, with slightly crispy edges
- Molasses – make sure to use unsulphured molasses, but not blackstrap molasses this gives them them their classic brown color and a sweet taste
- Egg – to help hold it all together and give a little lift
- Vanilla Extract – to add flavor
- Flour – just the right amount to make these cookies soft and chewy, and not caky
- Baking Soda – to give the cookies lift
- Ginger, Cinnamon, Cloves, and Nutmeg – to give them the perfect lightly spiced flavor
- Salt – helps bring out the flavors
How to make Ginger Molasses Cookies?
Cream together the butters and sugars until they are nice and creamy, fluffy, and light in color. Then add in the egg, molasses, and vanilla. Stir it all together until just combined.
Then add in the flour, baking soda, salt, and all the spices. Stir it together until you have a nice, soft cookie dough.
Scoop about 2 to 2.5 TBS of cookie dough and roll them into balls, then roll them in a flat plate or bowl of granulated sugar.
Place them a couple inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment, and bake until the cookies are golden, and the tops are starting to crack.
Let them cool for about 5 minutes on the cookie sheet, then enjoy them warm, or transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Tips for making Soft Ginger Molasses Cookies:
- Use an unsulphured molasses for the best taste. Avoid black strap molasses or sulphured molasses as they will be bitter, and very intense.
- Use a dark molasses if you want your cookies to be a darker brown color. The flavor will be a little stronger too.
- You can adjust the amount of spices used in these cookies if you want a spicier flavor. Add up to 1/2 tsp more of ginger or cinnamon.
- Add a nice light powdered sugar glaze, or white chocolate dip to these cookies to add a little extra sweetness.
- You can make these cookies bigger or smaller as desired. Adjust the baking time to a minute or two less for smaller cookies.
How to store Soft Ginger Molasses Cookies?
These cookies keep their soft and chewy texture for a few days. Store them in an airtight container, ziptop bag, or other covered container for up to 5 days.
The cookies can also be frozen in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
This makes them a great option for holiday baking, so you can spread out the baking times, or make lots of batches over the weeks.
These soft ginger molasses cookies are cookie perfection. The perfect soft and chewy texture, and the perfect sweet and lightly spiced taste. They’re delicious and so good for the holidays.
More holiday cookie recipes:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Soft Ginger Molasses Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups +2 TBS flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
For the sugar coating:
- 3 TBS sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet, or two with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cream together your butter and sugars for a couple minutes until light and fluffy.
- Stir in your egg, vanilla and molasses until just combined.
- Dump in the remaining ingredients and mix together until just combined.
- Scoop 2 TBS of dough and roll into a ball.
- Add your granulated sugar to a small bowl for rolling.
- Roll your dough ball into the sugar mixture.
- Place cookie dough balls onto the prepared cookie sheet, at least 2 to 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until cookies puff up and are crinkly.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.