These hot chocolate cookies are like a cup of hot cocoa in cookie form, with a soft, rich, chocolate cookie topped with melted chocolate and a gooey marshmallow! Just like your favorite cup of hot chocolate!
These hot chocolate cookies are chewy with a soft middle, topped with melted chocolate and a gooey and chewy marshmallow. They have the same great flavors of a cup of hot cocoa and they are to die for!
When the days are even a little bit cold, I love having the excuse to make a big cup of hot cocoa. These hot chocolate cookies have the same great taste of a mug of cocoa, but in cookie form!
These are one of the best chocolate cookies I have ever tried. And I promise you will love them too!
They’ve got a soft, rich chocolate cookie made with both melted chocolate and cocoa powder, topped with a piece of chocolate, that is gooey and melted when the cookies are warm, and a soft marshmallow – just like you’d put on top of your cup of cocoa.
These cookies would be perfect for a Christmas or other holiday party! And they’re extra great served with a big mug of hot cocoa, or a cold glass of milk for the ultimate chocolatey treat.
There isn’t much better than curling up in front of a hot fire with a big blanket and a big cup of hot chocolate filled with lots and lots of marshmallows! The only way to make it better is to have a big plate of these cookies too!
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Hot Chocolate Cookie Recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- unsalted butter – to add flavor and texture
- chocolate chips – these are melted and added to the dough to keep it super chocolatey and rich
- all purpose flour
- cocoa powder – to make the cookies extra chocolatey
- baking powder – to give the cookies lift, and make them soft and chewy
- salt – this balances out the sweetness
- brown sugar – to sweeten the cookies
- eggs – to hold everything together
- vanilla extract – for flavor
- large marshmallows – add 1/2 a marshmallow on top of each cookie, so its like a cup of cocoa with marshmallows on top
- chocolate bar – cut up into pieces to add a piece to melt on top of each cookie
How to make hot chocolate cookies?
- To make the hot cocoa cookies you’ll melt together some butter and chocolate chips. I used a mix of semi sweet, milk chocolate and bittersweet chocolate chips because its what I had on hand, but any chocolate chips will work. After the chocolate is melted you’ll let it cool for several minutes. Because you’re going to add it directly into your cookie batter.
- In a large bowl combine your dry ingredients – you’ll need flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- Then in another medium bowl you’ll cream together your brown sugar, eggs and vanilla until they are smooth. You will add your cooled melted chocolate to your egg mixture.
- Then you will slowly add in your flour mixture, while stirring everything slowly together until mixed. The dough is super soft, like a thick cake batter, so you’ll need to let it chill for a couple hours. You’ll cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap or a lid and place the bowl in the fridge. It needs to chill long enough until it is nice and firm and moldable.
- You’ll roll your dough into 1 1/2 to 2 inch cookie dough balls and bake them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner. The cookies are baked for 10-12 minutes.
- Then you’ll put a piece of chocolate and a marshmallow on top of the cookies and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until the marshmallow starts to get nice and gooey. Then you’re done. Let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool longer. Or enjoy them warm.
Tips and Tricks:
- Don’t forget to chill the dough. The cookie dough is very soft because of the melted chocolate, it’s more like a brownie batter than cookie dough. So let it firm up for about 2 hours in the fridge. If you want to chill it overnight you might need to let the dough rest at room temperature for a few minutes before you can scoop it.
- The cookies are a little too hot to eat right away, so let them cool for a few minutes to avoid burning your mouth on the hot marshmallows. Then I recommend eating one. The chocolate you put on top will be extra melty and delicious at this point and the cookies are so good when eaten a little warm.
- Try using different flavors of marshmallows on top of these cookies. I think peppermint or chocolate marshmallows would be delicious.
How to store Hot Chocolate Cookies?
The cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. The marshmallows can get a little sticky, so add layers of parchment paper between the cookies if you’re going to stack them.
How to store cookie dough?
You can also store the cookie dough in the fridge for up to 5 days if you want to bake the cookies up individually to enjoy them fresh. The cookie dough can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
I like to chill it and roll it into balls, then flash freeze those until hard. Transfer them to a ziplock bag and freeze until you’re ready to bake them.
Just don’t forget to have more chocolate and marshmallows on hand when you want to enjoy them again.
The hot chocolate cookies are chewy on the edges with a soft middle and they are so delicious. They have the same great taste as a mug of hot chocolate, but maybe even a little better. They’re seriously irresistible and I just know you’ll love them.
These cookies are so fun for the holiday season. They’re a perfect cookie for holiday cookie exchanges, serving at a Christmas party, or just on a cold day when you want a cup of cocoa and a cookie.
Looking for more Chocolate Holiday Cookies?
- Reindeer Cookies
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Rolo Cookies
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 12 oz chocolate chips
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 24 large marshmallows
- 1 large chocolate bar
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Melt together the butter and chocolate chips in a small sauce pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Set aside and let the chocolate cool for about 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients (The flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt) whisk them together, and set the bowl aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the brown sugar, eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the slightly cooled, melted chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and stir until combined.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients while stirring until mixed.
- Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap or a lid and refrigerate for 1-2 hours (The dough is like a thick cake batter before refrigerated, so you'll need it to firm up a good amount).
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking pan or two with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into 1 1/2 -2 inch cookie dough balls and place onto the prepared baking sheet, at least a couple inches apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the cookies start to crack.
- Meanwhile, cut the marshmallows in half and cut the chocolate into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and top each cookie with a piece of chocolate and then half a marshmallow (sticky side down) and cook for another 3-4 minutes until the marshmallow is puffed and gooey.
- Remove from the pan and let the cookies cool on the pan for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle grated chocolate over the top of your marshmallows if desired.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool longer, or eat the cookies warm (recommended).
These hot chocolate cookies were first posted on November 30, 2015. The photos and text were updated for clarity on December 12, 2022.