One Pot Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole is a perfect weeknight dinner idea, its packed full of flavor with shredded chicken, enchilada sauce and cheesy goodness, made in only 45 minutes!
This one pot enchilada rice casserole is a new favorite of mine, I love easy one pot recipes like this that only take a few minutes to come together, and only dirty up one dish! All you need to make this amazing chicken dish is chicken breast, onion, garlic, bell pepper, enchilada sauce, chicken broth, canned corn, rice, and lots of cheese. Okay, you need a little olive oil and salt and pepper too, but I’m guessing most of you have those in your pantry already.
Chicken enchiladas have been my favorite food for a long time, and this enchilada rice casserole did not disappoint.
Busy weeknights end up with us eating fast food or take out way more than I would care to admit, but its meals like this that help me get a home cooked dinner on the table. A couple other busy night dinners I love: one pot chicken enchilada pasta and this one pot sausage pasta!
Helpful Tips for Making this One Pot Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole:
- To save a couple steps and a couple minutes time, you can make this dish with precooked chicken. Its a great use of leftover chicken breasts, or I love using rotisserie chicken meat too.
- To add a little spice, try mixing in 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced.
- This meal also reheats well, so it makes great leftovers. Throw it in an airtight container like a pyrex or tupperware and when you’re ready spoon a little out and zap it in the microwave. I’ve been eating leftovers for lunch all week.
- You can substitute the canned enchilada sauce for the same amount of a homemade enchilada sauce.
One Pot Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole
- 1 TBS olive oil (divided)
- 2 large chicken breasts (cut into thin horizontal steaks or 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion (1/2 large onion)
- 1 cup diced bell pepper (1 bell pepper)
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 2 10oz cans enchilada sauce (I used a mix of mild red and green enchilada sauce)
- 3 cups chicken broth (or water)
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp pepper (to taste)
- 15 oz can corn (drained)
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- chopped cilantro
- diced tomatoes
- green onion
- sour cream
- Heat 1/2 TBS olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add chicken breast pieces and cook for about 2 minutes on each side, until cooked through, set aside. **
- Add remaining oil and onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add in bell pepper and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add enchilada sauce, chicken broth and salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- Add in white rice and stir, cover with a lid and turn the heat down to medium low.
- Cook until rice is cooked through and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Chop chicken into pieced.
- When rice is done cooking, stir chicken and 1/2 cup cheese into the rice.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top to cover completely.
- Place in the oven on broil until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Serve with desired toppings.