These sweet potato patties are mashed into crispy flavorful patties, that are perfect for a vegetarian meal or side dish.
Amazingly, recently I have decided I like sweet potatoes. They just need to be prepared the way I like. I don’t like them sweet, surprisingly enough, not even a tiny bit sweet.
Sweet potatoes are traditionally served as a side dish to your Thanksgiving meal, usually mashed and served as sweet potato casserole with marshmallows on top. Maybe sweetened with brown sugar or molasses. You’re more than welcome to enjoy them this way, but I won’t be 😉
Instead, I like my sweet potatoes baked, served up as fries, or my new favorite way, sweet potato patties. You can choose to use leftover sweet potatoes if you have any extra from previously baking them, instead of cooking them up fresh as described in this recipe.
These sweet potato patties were inspired by this recipe.
How to make sweet potato patties?
So to make these sweet potato patties, you’ll first cook up your sweet potatoes. You can use leftover sweet potatoes that have been mashed (but not too seasoned), or leftover roasted sweet potatoes. Or I cook them a super easy way, peeled, cubed, and cooked up for a few minutes in the microwave. You’ll cook them till their soft and mashable, then set them aside.
You’ll then cook up some diced onions in some butter. Mix that in with the mashed sweet potatoes. Then add in an egg, flour, and some salt. Mix it all together.
Scoop up about 1/4 cup of the sweet potato mash and put it into the frying pan. Shape the patties as much as you can and flatten them to be about 1/2 inch thick. Cook them up for about 1-2 minutes on each side and then voila.
These sweet potato patties are a delicious new way to serve sweet potatoes for the holidays, or any day. Instead of the traditional sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving dinner, or sweet potato fries you might be enjoying you’ll love giving these sweet potato patties a try instead.
They’re also a great way to use up leftover mashed sweet potatoes from Thanksgiving dinner, or Christmas. (If you have some that are unsweetened)
Looking for more Sweet Potato Recipes:
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecans
- Southwest Sweet Potatoes
- Black Bean Sweet Potato Tacos
- Sweet Potato Cinnamon Bread
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Sweet Potato Patties
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 3 TBS yellow onion (chopped fine)
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Peel your potatoes, and dice them into about 1 inch size bits
- Place in a microwave safe container and microwave for about 5 minutes.
- Mash your sweet potatoes with a fork or potato masher.
- Melt butter in a medium frying pan
- Saute onions in the butter for about 5 minutes
- Add onions to mashed sweet potatoes and stir together.
- Add egg, flour, and salt to sweet potatoes and mix together.
- Preheat a frying pan to medium heat and add butter to the pan. Scoop up about 1/4 cup of the mashed mixture and place into a frying pan, heated to medium.
- Scoop up about 1/4 cup of the mashed mixture and place into the pan.
- Pat down to about 1/2 inch thickness, and 2 to 3 inches in diameter. (The patties may be a bit sticky and hard to shape, coat hands in nonstick spray as needed.
- Fry for about 60 seconds on each side.
Recipe first posted on November 27, 2013. Photos updated on November 20, 2019.