These twice baked sweet potatoes are made in the air fryer and are the perfect mini sweet potato casseroles – perfect for a side dish for any dinner or holiday meal! They are baked, then topped with a sweet brown sugar cinnamon mixture, butter, toasted marshmallows, and chopped nuts.
If you love sweet potato casserole, you will love these twice baked sweet potatoes. They have the same type of flavor as a sweet potato casserole, with a bit of saltiness, a bit of sweetness, and so much yumminess.
They’ve got crispy sweet potato skins, with tender sweet potato inside, that is topped with a brown sugar, cinnamon mixture, and butter to make the inside sweet and yummy, and then topped with marshmallows for the extra sweetness, and the perfect topping for sweet potato casserole – and add on some chopped pecans for crunch too.
These twice baked sweet potatoes are such a fun side dish, and a non traditional way to enjoy sweet potato casserole, in mini, individual ways. They’re easy enough to make to add to a regular dinner, but special enough to enjoy with a holiday dinner too.
What to eat with twice baked sweet potatoes?
- Maple Brown Sugar Ham
- Roasted Turkey
- Dinner Rolls
- Mac and Cheese
- Cranberry Orange Sauce
- Sweet Glazed Carrots
- Raspberry Jello Salad
- Carrot Cake
- Pumpkin Roll
How to make air fryer twice baked sweet potatoes?
It’s so easy to bake sweet potatoes in the air fryer and helps get the skin extra crispy in the process. You’ll coat the sweet potatoes in a little olive oil, then a salty cinnamon sugar mixture to add some flavor to the skins. Cook them up for about 45 minutes, or until the inside of the potatoes are nice and tender and you can poke them easily with a fork.
Cut half way through each of the sweet potatoes, and scratch the potato inside up with a fork to soften it up and loosen it. (You can also scrape it all out and mash it up in a bowl, then return it to the potato skins, if you want it even softer like normal twice baked potatoes). Then you’ll sprinkle the brown sugar, and cinnamon mixture over the top of each of them, and top each with a little butter to melt over the top. Cook another couple minutes in the air fryer. Then top with mini marshmallows and cook again until they are lightly toasted. Then sprinkle chopped pecans over the top, and drizzle all over with maple syrup and enjoy hot!
Can you make twice baked sweet potatoes in the oven?
If you don’t have an air fryer you can also make these twice baked sweet potatoes in the oven. Bake them in the oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 to 50 minutes, or until then are soft inside and can be pierced with a fork.
Cut the sweet potatoes in half. Then scoop out the sweet potato mixture and mash it all up in a bowl. Return the mashed sweet potato to the peel, and top each with the brown sugar and spice mixture and butter. Continue to cook in the oven for another 5 minutes, then top each sweet potato with mini marshmallows, and cook again (about 5-10 minutes, but watch closely!) until the marshmallows are lightly toasted. Sprinkle chopped pecans over the top, and drizzle with pure maple syrup if desired.
Tips for making Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes:
- If you’d like each serving to be a bit smaller, instead of cutting through the sweet potatoes part of the way, you can cut them each in half more like traditional twice baked potatoes, and make 6 servings, instead of 3.
- If you want the inside of the sweet potatoes to be more mashed, you can scoop out the filling and mash it up in a bowl to your desired consistency. You can also choose to mix the brown sugar seasoning into the mashed sweet potatoes, instead of just sprinkling it on top.
- The recipe can be doubled, but because you want to keep space in the air fryer you can only cook 3 sweet potatoes at a time, to double, or triple for a crowd, I recommend using the oven instructions as listed above so you have the space needed to bake as many sweet potatoes as you want.
These twice baked sweet potatoes are one of my favorite ways to eat sweet potatoes, and they’re the perfect side dish! They’ve got the same great flavors of sweet potato casserole with only about half the work.
They’re sweet, with a little bit of saltiness, with crunchy pecans and marshmallows on top. So delicious! They’re perfect for pairing with your favorite dinner!
More sweet potato recipes:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 TBS butter
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 TBS chopped pecans
- 2 TBS pure maple syrup
- Clean the sweet potatoes under cold water with a soft bristled brush. Dry well with a paper towel. Then poke them all over with a fork.
- Mix together the salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Separate the seasonings in half, and mix half of them in another small bowl with the brown sugar.
- Rub olive oil all over the outsides of the prepared sweet potatoes. Use the other half of the seasonings to rub all over the outsides of the now oiled potatoes.
- Air fry the sweet potatoes at 385 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 to 50 minutes, or until you can stick a fork into them and they feel tender.
- Cut the sweet potatoes open down the middle, but not all the way through. Scrape out the sweet potato in the middle, and mash it in a bowl. Or use a fork to mix it all up inside each of the sweet potatoes. (Depending how soft and mashy you want the insides)
- Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture evenly over the tops of each of the sweet potatoes.
- Top each sweet potato with tiny pats of butter.
- Return them to the air fryer and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the marshmallows over the top of each of the sweet potatoes, and air fry for another 2 minutes, or until the marshmallows are lightly toasted.
- Remove from the air fyer and top each with chopped pecans, and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Serve hot.