These cake mix Funfetti Sandwich cookies are such a fun and easy homemade cookie. Chewy, cake batter flavored cookies that are loaded with a cream cheese frosting in the middle. They’re perfect for birthdays, parties, or other celebrations.
These Funfetti Sandwich cookies are soft and chewy, sprinkle filled cookies that taste like cake batter. They’re stuffed with the best smooth cream cheese frosting and sprinkled with sprinkles on the frosting for a super fun, lightly colorful, and delicious cookie.
These cookies are made with a cake mix. We love cake mix recipes, especially our cake batter ice cream, homemade Oreos, or cake balls. And these funfetti sandwich cookies are a great one to add to the mix. For another favorite made with a cake mix, you’ll love these homemade cake pops!
They are so fun, so easy, and so versatile. Heck, you could use whatever cake mix flavor you want instead of a confetti or Funfetti cake mix. I think a chocolate confetti cake, or Oreo Funfetti cake would be extra delicious too.
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Cake Mix Funfetti Sandwich Cookie Recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- box Funfetti (or Confetti Cake Mix) Cake Mix
- large eggs
- vegetable oil – or canola oil
- cream cheese – half a block for the best cream cheese frosting
- unsalted butter – keeps the frosting smooth, and gives it a good flavor
- powdered sugar – sweetens the frosting and helps hold it all together
- vanilla extract – gives the frosting a light vanilla flavor
How to make Funfetti Sandwich Cookies?
Combine the cake mix, eggs, and oil in a medium sized bowl until you have a nice cookie batter.
Roll the cookie dough into twenty four 1 1/2 to 2 inch sized balls, and place them onto a lined baking sheet. Flatten the balls slightly with your fingers, making them about half as tall as before.
Bake the cookies until the tops start to crack, and look just set. Remove them from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Mix the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl until the mixture is smooth. Keep mixing for a couple minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy.
Take one cookie and flip it over, and spread frosting over the bottom of the cookie using a knife, spoon, or frosting in a ziptop bag.
Place another cookie over the top, bottoms of the cookies facing each other, and place the cookies back onto a lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle frosting over the edges of the frosting in the middle of the cookies You can enjoy them immediately, or personally I prefer to place them in the fridge to chill for about an hour or two.
Tips and Tricks:
- Press your cookie dough balls to be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. This will get them the nice cracks on top like mine have.
- This recipe makes just 12 cookie sandwiches. Double the cookie and frosting recipe if you want more cookies for an event.
- Change up the sprinkle colors to make these cookie sandwiches fun for different occasions. You could also add a little food coloring to the frosting or cookie dough to make these super colorful.
How to store leftover cookies?
These sandwich cookies need to be stored in the fridge because of their cream cheese frosting. Once prepared with the frosting, keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. When you are serving them, they should be fine at room temperature for an hour or two.
The cookies can also be frozen. Prepare and decorate the sandwiches as the recipe states, then wrap them up individually in plastic wrap. Place the plastic wrapped cookies in a freezer safe bag, and freezer for up to 3 months. You can eat them straight from frozen, or let them thaw for about an hour in the fridge.
These Cake Mix Funfetti Sandwich Cookies are one of my whole family’s favorite cookies. They’re so easy you’ll want to make them on repeat at your house too.
More cookie recipes:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Cake Mix Funfetti Sandwich Cookies
- 1 box Funfetti Cake Mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese (softened to room temperature – 1/2 a block)
- 1/4 cup butter (softened – 1/2 a cube)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBS rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degreed Farenheit.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the dry cake mix, eggs, and vegetable oil. Stir together till everything is combined and you have a thick cookie batter.
- Roll the cookie dough into about 1 1/2 to 2 inch sized balls. Place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- Flatten each of the balls slightly with your fingers.
- Place the tray in the preheated oven and bake for 7-9 minutes or until the cookie tops are set and start to crack.
- Remove pan from the oven and let cookies cool on the cookie sheets for about 3 minutes. Then remove them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese in a medium sized bowl with a stand mixer or hand mixer until smooth.
- Add in the butter and beat till smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and beat until the whole thing is smooth.
For the Assembly:
- Frost the bottom of one of the cookies and place another cookie on top to sandwich them.
- Add a few sprinkles around the edges of the frosting.
- Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Enjoy the cookies immediately, or place them in a container with a lid and chill for at least one hour to enjoy them chilled.
- Store any leftovers in a container with a lid for up to 3 to 4 days.