Crockpot chicken tacos are such an easy and delicious to way to cook up chicken, with only a few ingredients in the slow cooker, for tender, flavorful chicken that is perfect for tacos, burritos, nachos, and more.
I love being able to throw a few ingredients into my slow cooker, and have a delicious dinner ready only a few hours later.
Taco nights are always one of my favorite days of the week, starting with a yummy tortilla, topped with seasoned meat and my favorite taco toppings. Honestly, the toppings might be my favorite part.
What are good taco toppings?
- shredded cheese
- avocado or guacamole
- salsa or pico de gallo recipe
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes
- diced onion
- diced jalapenos
- black beans or refried beans
- sour cream
- lime wedges
How to make slow cooker chicken tacos?
These slow cooker chicken tacos are super easy to make. You will just throw your chicken and a few seasonings into the slow cooker and let it all cook.
Throw the chicken breast in with a little garlic, cumin, chili powder, and water, or chicken broth. Cook it up until the chicken is cooked through (and reaches 165 degrees) and remove it from the slow cooker. Shred the chicken with two forks, then mix it up with some salsa and serve it up on a tortilla.
This chicken can also be used for other things instead of tacos. You can use it on salads, nachos, enchiladas, burritos, and more!
How long does shredded chicken last?
This recipe makes enough for about 4 people, though the recipe can be easily doubled if you are cooking for more! Or if you want some leftovers, you can store it in the fridge in an airtight container, for about 3 to 4 days.
If you aren’t going to eat it in that much time, then you can freeze it for 3 to 4 months. Place it in an airtight container, and remove as much of the air as possible, like a ziplock bag or vacuum sealed bag. Defrost it in the fridge overnight the night before you want to eat it, then reheat it on the stove top, or in the slow cooker again (but for much less time)
This slow cooker taco chicken is the perfect meal for a busy weeknight. It’s delicious, and only takes a few minutes of actual work for you – then you’re ready to eat a delicious meal! That way you can spend your evening with your spouse or your family, or your friends, or alone, doing whatever the heck you want – and the whole evening isn’t taken up cooking dinner!
Looking for more slow cooker chicken recipes?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Crockpot Chicken Tacos
Crockpot Chicken Tacos
- 1 TBS garlic (chopped)
- 1 TBS cumin
- 1 TBS chili powder
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1/4 water or chicken broth (just enough to cover the chicken)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- black beans
- sour cream
- Place raw chicken into the bottom of the slow cooker
- Sprinkle garlic, cumin, chili powder, over the top of the chicken. Pour water or chicken broth over the top in the crock pot.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Shred the chicken, using two forks, or a new trick I learned is to put your cooked chicken into your kitchen aid mixer with the flat beater and mix on low speed for about 10 seconds – you will have perfectly shredded chicken.
- Mix salsa in with the chicken, and serve.
- Place chicken in tortillas, and add your choice of toppings.
These crock pot chicken tacos were first posted on February 1, 2012. Photos updated on January 6, 2020.