The perfect golden butter waffles with crispy edges, golden throughout and light in the middle.
Waffles are the perfect way to start the day, and lucky for you, today is National Waffle Day so if you’re not having waffles for breakfast, I hope you have breakfast for dinner tonight and enjoy these then!
I have been making these waffles for years and years. They’re the perfect waffles in my opinion, crispy edges, golden throughout and light in the middle.
What’s your favorite breakfast? Do you like waffles, pancakes or french toast? Or do you like going the savory route with bacon and eggs?
I love the different topping choices you can put on waffles, there’s your traditional butter and maple syrup. But I also love berry syrup, and my favorite way to have waffles is to spread them with creamy peanut butter, top that with bananas and then pour the maple syrup on top.
Waffle Topping Ideas:
- berry syrup
- strawberry sauce
- blueberry sauce
- strawberry or raspberry jam
- apple butter
- maple syrup
- caramel syrup
- peanut butter – I love the texture of crunchy peanut butter
- chocolate chips
- banana slices
- fresh berries – blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries are delicious
- cinnamon apples
- fruit salsa
- whipped cream
- candied nuts
- fried chicken
- large eggs
- whole milk
- unsalted butter
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- granulated sugar
How to make Butter Waffles?
- Preheat the waffle iron until it’s hot. I use a regular waffle iron, not a Belgian waffle iron. Add the eggs to a medium bowl and beat them until light and fluffy.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir them into the eggs until just combined.
- Spray the waffle iron with nonstick spray. Pour batter into the center of the hot waffle iron. Bake for about 5 minutes, or until your waffle iron light changes to show that the waffle is done, and the waffle looks golden on both sides.
- Remove the waffle carefully from the waffle iron and serve hot with butter, syrup, and your favorite toppings. Repeat with remaining batter.
Tips and Tricks:
- Add about 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon or vanilla extract to the batter for some extra flavor.
- To keep the waffles warm so everyone can eat at once, preheat your oven to 200 F and place the waffles into the oven once prepared. Remove them from the oven when they are all made and everyone is ready to enjoy them.
- Use buttermilk instead of whole milk if desired.
- Double the recipe and freeze some of the waffles for another morning.
How to store?
If you have any leftover waffle batter you can store it in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge. Then when you’re ready to make the waffles you can pour it out, or scoop it out into a preheated waffle iron straight from the fridge.
You can also store any leftover waffles for up to 5 days. I like to store mine in a zip top bag in the refrigerator, and pop them in the toaster when we want to enjoy them to crisp them up like new.
Homemade waffles can also be frozen by flash freezing them on a baking sheet, then once they are frozen solid transfer them to a resealable bag, or other freezer safe container. They will stay good in the freezer for at least 3 months. You can toast them straight from frozen until hot and crispy!
These butter waffles have the perfect crispy edges, soft middles, and are so delicious for breakfast or dinner. Top them with your favorite toppings, and you’ll never want to use a powdered mix again.
More easy breakfast recipes:
- Applesauce Pancakes
- Biscuit Breakfast Casserole
- Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread
- Overnight French Toast Casserole
- Pumpkin Waffles
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Golden Butter Waffles
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TBS sugar
- Heat waffle iron (this is a regular waffle iron, not a Belgian)
- Beat your eggs in a medium sized bowl till light and fluffy.
- Add your remaining ingredients in and mix until just mixed.
- Spray your waffle iron with nonstick spray.
- Pour your batter into the center of your hot waffle iron. (You get used to the right amount for your iron)
- Bake for about 5 minutes, or until your waffle iron says their done.
- Remove from your waffle iron carefully and serve hot with butter and syrup, or your favorite toppings.
These golden butter waffles were first posted on March 25, 2015. The photos and blog text were updated on October 10, 2022.