These Nutter Butter Truffles are a simple peanut butter truffle, coated in chocolate for a delicious chocolate and peanut butter combination. They almost taste like peanut butter cheesecake, and are a perfect holiday treat!
I think everyone knows Oreo truffles are really delicious. But did you know that you can also make truffles with other cookies, like in these Nutter Butter truffles.
These Nutter Butter Truffles are so simple to make too, but instead of a rich chocolate filling, you get a rich and creamy peanut butter filling. With the chocolate coating on the outside it’s one of the best ways to have chocolate and peanut butter together.
What do you need to make Nutter Butter Truffles?
Basically you only need 3 ingredients. You need a package of Nutter Butter cookies, cream cheese, and chocolate (chips or melting wafers). If you’re not using melting wafers then I like to add a little coconut oil to help the chocolate coating harden quicker.
How to make Nutter Butter Truffles?
- You will first crush your Nutter Butter cookies into a fine crumb, using a food processor or high powered blender works best.
- Add in the cream cheese and stir it all together till you have a nice soft dough like texture.
- Use a cookie scoop, or your hands to evenly portion out the mixture into 32 even sized balls. You can also make them smaller if you prefer, since they are quite rich.
- Add the chocolate melting wafers to a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between each time in the microwave. Use a fork to carefully dip the balls into the chocolate and then carefully slide them off the fork onto parchment paper.
- Let the balls set at room temperature, for about 30 minutes, until the chocolate is hardened. Or place the pan in the fridge to speed up the process.
How to store Nutter Butter truffles?
Nutter Butter truffles can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Once the chocolate is hardened you don’t have to worry about them sticking together or damaging each other, so you can throw them together in a zip top bag, or another airtight container like tupperware or pyrex.
They can also be kept in the freezer in an airtight container for 3 to 4 months. Just defrost them in the fridge for a few hours before serving.
Tips for making Nutter Butter Balls:
- Make sure to use whole fat cream cheese for the best flavor, and the best results.
- 10 ounces of chocolate chips may be substituted for the chocolate melting wafers, but you should add in 1 tsp coconut oil or vegetable oil to help so the chocolate is smoother for the dipping process. The coconut oil will also help the chocolate harden quicker.
- If you want to top the balls with Nutter Butter crumbs, sprinkles, or sea salt, dip about 4 or 5 balls first then sprinkle the topping on to make sure you get it on before chocolate starts to set.
- Since these balls are rich, I sometimes like to make them smaller, about half the sized pictured (and into 1 TBS sized balls instead). That way I can also eat more of them 😉 And it makes it easy to serve them up for a party, or to gift to others.
- In addition to topping the peanut butter balls with cookie crumbs, sprinkles, or sea salt, you could also top them with mini chocolate chips, or chopped up peanuts.
- You could also decorate these Nutter Butter Truffles like reindeer, like I have with my Reindeer Oreo Cookie Balls. How cute would those be?!
These Nutter Butter truffles are a perfect dessert to take to a Christmas party, or for packaging up and sharing with your coworkers, friends, or neighbors. You can also store them in the freezer and just pop one or two out when you need a quick treat fix.
They’re a delicious chocolate and peanut butter treat, and the filling tastes like peanut butter cheesecake. Who can say no to that? Before you know it you’ll be popping another, then another in your mouth to enjoy them 😉
More Easy Holiday Truffle Recipes:
- Gingerbread Truffles
- Golden Oreo Truffles
- White Chocolate Oreo Balls
- Reindeer Oreo Balls
- Buckeye Balls
- Nutter Butter Snowmen
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Nutter Butter Truffles
- 16 oz Nutter Butter Cookies
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 10 oz chocolate melting wafers (can sub 10 oz chocolate chips)
- 1 tsp coconut oil (optional - only needed if using chocolate chips)
- Add the nutter butter cookies to a food processor or high powered blender, and crush them into a fine crumb
- Add in the cream cheese, and mix it together with the Nutter Butter crumbs to make a thick base.
- Scoop the mixture out with a medium sized cookie scoop, or spoon it by hand into 1.5 to 2 TBS sized balls. Then roll them into even sized balls, and place them on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Melt your chocolate in a medium microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments. Stirring after each time in the microwave. (Add in the coconut oil if using chocolate chips)
- Use a fork to carefully dip each of the balls into the melted chocolate, then gently slide it off the fork onto the parchment paper to set.
- After every 4 or 5 ball, top the balls with Nutter Butter crumbs, sprinkles, or sea salt, before the chocolate sets.
- Allow the balls to set until the chocolate hardens, about 30 minutes at room temperature. Or place the pan in the fridge to speed up the process, they will set in about 10 minutes in the fridge.
- Once the balls are set you can also drizzle the tops with more melted chocolate, or melted white chocolate.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
These Nutter Butter Truffles were first posted on December 3, 2014. The photos and text were updated for clarity on December 13, 2020.
My niece and I are always looking for new recipes to try definitely going to try this one
Hope you love it!
I made these for the first time tonight. I tried one before they set, and they were pretty good! It’s a pretty unique flavor, but in a good way. I mixed the cream cheese in the processor bc I wasn’t sure. The instructions said stir, but the pic was inside the processor, so I went with it. I used chocolate chips bc that’s what I had. I want to try different oreo flavor ones too!
I have made these as is and they are incredible! I brought them into work along with oreo truffles and everyone loved them!
I’ve been looking at peanut butter whisky truffle recipes, but they often have more ingredients. Do you think I could just add whisky to this recipe or would the balls become too soggy/hard to coat in chocolate?
I’ve never tried whiskey truffles, but the ones I’ve seen usually have chocolate in the filling, which might be needed -since these are made with cookies I think they might get too soft :/ Let me know if you do try it though
Donna Howard says
Can’t wait to make these!! Question – is this recipe for what you call the half batch??
Yeah this recipe is a “half batch”. It still makes a lot of truffles, but only uses half of a block of cream cheese.
Louise Gamble says
If you want to give these in a tin as Christmas gifts how long will they keep or do they have to stay refrigerated? They look awesome! Thanks!
They need to be kept in the fridge because of the cream cheese, so they can probably be at room temperature for a couple hours, but otherwise I’d keep them in the fridge. They should stay good in the fridge for up to a week.
Sandra @ Heavenly Deviled Eggs says
Saw these on Pinterest. Had to repin! They look so good! I have a sweet tooth and always want something sweet after dinner. These look like the perfect size to satisfy that craving without adding too many calories – if I can limit myself to just one, that is. Thanks for sharing!
Miranda @ Cookie Dough & Oven Mitt says
Oh my goodness. I loveeee nutter butters. I always dunk mine because I can’t stand hard cookies. I wouldn’t have to with these little truffles. This could be trouble for my waist line! Fantastic recipe. Definitely pinning!!
Aimee Berrett says
Thanks Miranda! You’ll definitely love these then!
These look so delicious!!
Those look amazing! Pinning!
Oh my goodness these look so good!! Nutter Butters are one of my favorite store bought cookies so I’m going to have to try these stat!!
Aimee Berrett says
Thank you! If you love nutter butters and the combo of peanut butter and chocolate you will be in heaven with these!
Ellen Garrett says
These are so pretty. I need to make them for my next party I go to.
Aimee Berrett says
So easy too. Let me know if you try them!