These rainbow cake mix cookies are an easy cookie recipe that starts with a cake mix. Sections of the dough are colored, then squished together to make fun swirls, in these delicious, and colorful cookies! Perfect for summer!
These rainbow cake mix cookies are so easy to make with only a few ingredients. They’re moist, soft, and chewy and so delicious. Cake mix cookies are one of the simplest way to make a delicious dessert – my favorites are these rolo cookies, or our homemade Oreos.
My kids love how fun these cookies are with all their bright colors!
They’re fun, bright, and colorful and such a tasty way to enjoy the colors of the rainbow.
Why are cake mix cookies the best?
- Only 4 ingredients
- Fool proof cookies
- Cookies in 20 minutes
- Moist, soft, and so delicious
- Change the colors for any occasion
Ingredients needed to make Rainbow Cake Mix Cookies:
- A white Cake Mix (the dry mix)
- Vegetable Oil
- Food Coloring
How to make Rainbow Cake Mix Cookies?
Add the cake mix, vegetable oil, and eggs to a large bowl and mix together until they are combined.
Separate the dough into the number of bowls for how many different colors you want. In this recipe we did 5 colors.
Mix each portion of the dough with your desired food coloring color. Chill all the dough for about 45 minutes.
Take a small dollop of each dough color and drop them together onto parchment paper. Then roll the dollops together into balls using a cookie scoop to avoid getting food coloring all over your hands. Then roll them into the sugar.
Place the balls of dough onto a cookie sheet, a couple of inches apart. Then bake the cookies until they are slightly puffy, but look a little underdone. They will keep cooking as you pull the pan out of the oven.
Tips for making Rainbow Cake Mix Cookies:
- Use a single mixer hand beater to mix the food coloring evenly, easily and quickly into the cookie dough.
- Use two spoons to drop the cookie dough onto the parchment paper without touching it, the dough will be very sticky.
- The cookie dough is best chilled for at least 45 minutes, because it will be too soft if chilled less than that. But no longer than 1 hour, or the cookies will not be soft, puffy and chewy.
- I recommend using a concentrated food coloring, or a gel food coloring to be able to use the least amount of color per dough section.
- You could color the sections of cookie dough a variety of colors to make these for different holidays. Color two sections red and green, and leave one white for Christmas. Orange, green, and purple for Halloween, etc. You can do anywhere from 2 to 6 colors for the dough.
These rainbow cookies, are bright, chewy, delicious, and so fun! They’re tasty, sweet, and perfect for a party! You can make them in any color combination, for any holiday, which makes them so much fun!
More rainbow treats:
- Rainbow Fruit Pizza
- Rainbow Fruit Parfait
- Rainbow Fruit Kabobs
- Rainbow Cupcakes on Life Made Simple Bakes
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Rainbow Cake Mix Cookies
- 15.25 oz box white cake mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- food coloring of choice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Add the cake mix, vegetable oil, and eggs to a large bowl and mix them together until combined.
- Divide the dough evenly into 5 different bowls.
- Mix each portion of dough with the desired food coloring, until evenly colored. (We used reen, yellow, red, orange and blue).
- Cover the bowls and place the dough in the fridge for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Portion out a dollop of each color of cookie dough. Then use a cookie scoop to scoop the dough up and roll the balls together to swirl the colors together.
- Place the granulated sugar into a small bowl, and roll each of the cookie dough balls into the sugar.
- Place the balls onto the prepared cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 9 minutes. They will look puffy and slightly underdone (but will continue cooking on the baking sheet out of the oven.)
- Remove the pan of cookies out of the oven and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes. Then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.