These pumpkin rice krispie treats are delicious soft and gooey rice krispie treats with a perfect pumpkin twist. They’re perfectly pumpkin spiced, and adorably shaped like pumpkins.
These pumpkin rice krispie treats are soft, and chewy, and delicious. Rice Krispie treats are always a good idea, for kids and adults, and this version has the perfect fall twist!
They’re lightly pumpkinny, cinnamony, and a great fall treat. Never mind, how adorable they are as well! They’re shaped into balls, and quickly decorated to look like adorable little hand held pumpkins. Kids and adults alike will definitely love them!
October Pumpkin Recipe Challenge
We’ve started something new this year. We do a monthly recipe challenge for our readers, with a different theme each month. For the month of October the theme is Pumpkin! At the end of the month I’ll randomly select one entry to be the winner, and I’ll send them a $100 Amazon Gift Card.
Here’s how to enter the challenge:
- Choose and pumpkin recipe from our website and make it. That mean’s any recipe with pumpkin in the name, or pumpkin in the ingredients. It could be our favorite pumpkin cookies, these pumpkin rice krispie treats, pumpkin cake, or a pumpkin roll. Plus we have lots more!
- Send me a picture of the recipe you made. Snap a quick photo on your phone of the recipe you made and email it to me at email@example.com or send it to me in a DM on instagram @lmldfood.
- Get bonus entries by leaving a comment. Leave a comment on the recipe you made, letting me know what you thought. If you loved it, or hated it, I want to know. Let me know in the comment that you made it as part of our October Pumpkin Challenge to help me keep track.
- Make as many pumpkin recipes as you want! You can get entered multiple times for each recipe you make and send me a photo.
The challenge is open to anyone over 18 years of age. It runs from October 1st, 2021 to October 31, 2021. The winner will be randomly selected. The odds of winning depend on how many entries are received. I will reach out via email or Instagram to notify the winner on November 1, 2021.
Here are our past monthly challenges for fun.
- Broccoli Cheese Soup (Soup Recipes)
- S’mores Dip (S’mores Recipes)
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream (Ice Cream Recipes)
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars (No Bake Recipes)
- German Potato Salad (Potluck Recipes)
- Lemon Sheet Cake (Citrus Recipes)
Now back to these yummy pumpkin rice krispie treats.
How to make Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats?
Start by melting the butter in a large pot over medium low heat. I try and keep the temperature low the whole time because it keeps our rice krispie treats soft and not over cooked and dry and crunchy.
While the butter is melting blot extra moisture out of the pumpkin puree with some paper towels. Once the butter is melted, add in the pumpkin puree. Stir it into the butter and let it cook for a couple minutes. It doesn’t look super appetizing at this point, but it’ll get better looking once you can stir it all into the marshmallows.
Add in the mini marshmallows and let them melt as you stir it all together. Keep the heat on medium low, so they’ll melt a little slowly, but like I said, it keeps the treats soft.
Once the marshmallows are melted, stir in the vanilla extract, food coloring, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, and salt. Let the mixture cool for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Stir in the crispy rice cereal.
Spray your hands really well with nonstick spray and use a scoop, or spoon to separate the cereal mixture into even sized portions on a piece of parchment paper. (I find that separating it first lets it start to dry a bit and makes it easier to roll and push into balls). Then roll each of these sections into small balls. Continue to spray your hands as needed as the mixture is very sticky.
Cut your pretzel twists in half and stick a half into each of the balls. Then roll your air head candies into vines and add one or two to each pumpkin.
Enjoy them immediately, or store in a covered container for 2 to 3 days. (Though they’re definitely best within the first day or so!)
Tips for making Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats:
- Make sure to squeeze as much moisture out of the pumpkin puree as you can. Put it between a couple paper towels and press as much moisture out of it. This helps to keep the pumpkin treats from feeling kind of soggy stale as you bite into them from the extra pumpkin moisture.
- Instead of pretzels for the pumpkin stems, you could also use tootsie rolls, rolos, or upside down mini pb cups, etc.
- You can even skip making the rice krispie treats into pumpkins by pressing the mixture into a baking pan instead.
These pumpkin rice krispie treats are such a fun, adorable, and delicious no bake treat for the entire fall season!
More Pumpkin Recipes:
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
- Pumpkin Cake with Yellow Cake Mix
- Pumpkin Roll
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 TBS unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 16 oz mini marshmallows
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- orange food coloring (or yellow and red)
- 9 cups rice krispie cereal
For Decorating Pumpkins:
- 9 Honey Wheat Pretzel Twists (cut in half)
- 2 Green Airheads
- Add the butter to a large pot over medium low heat.
- While the butter is melting, blot the pumpkin with some paper towels to get out some of the extra moisture.
- Once the butter is melted, add in the pumpkin puree, and stir it into the butter as best as you can.
- Add in the mini marshmallows and stir them together, and continue stirring regularly until the marshmallows are totally melted.
- Stir in the vanilla extract, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and food coloring.
- Let the marshmallow mixture cool to room temperature for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Stir in the cereal.
- Spray your hands liberally with nonstick spray. Then separate the rice krispie treats into 18 portions. Carefully shape each of the portions into round balls, respraying your hands with nonstick spray as needed. Place them onto a piece of parchment paper.
- Stick half a pretzel twist into the top of the pumpkin and reform them as needed.
- Cut a green airhead into thin strips, and roll each of them into a thin rope.
- Twist the rope around a toothpick to get give it a twisty vine shape.
- Then add one or two pieces of airhead to the pumpkin. Repeat with additional pumpkins.
- Enjoy immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to 2 or 3 days.