These white chocolate peppermint cookies are a soft and chewy sugar cookie dipped in white chocolate and topped with crushed peppermint candies. They’re a perfect holiday cookie!
During the holiday season I love making a variety of different Christmas cookies. These white chocolate peppermint cookies are a perfect one to add to the mix. They’re a soft and chewy sugar cookie, based on my snickerdoodle cookie recipe, that cracks nicely as they bake. Then the cookies are dipped half way in melted white chocolate, and sprinkled with crushed peppermint pieces.
I love dipping cookies in white chocolate, like these peppermint bark cookies, or these ginger cookies. So of course I knew I had to make my own version of these peppermint sugar cookies from Cooking Classy.
These cookies are perfectly festive, because peppermint is one of the best flavors this time of year. They’re perfect to enjoy any night of the week, make a plate or two for a holiday party, or deliver some to your friends and neighbors for the perfect cookie plate!
How to make White Chocolate Peppermint Cookies?
These White Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are easy to make. I started mine with my snickerdoodle cookie recipe for the base, but you could use your own snickerdoodle cookie recipe instead. You could also use store bought sugar cookie dough, though they may turn out a little less chewy than these.
To make the cookie dough, you’ll need butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour, baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar. Cream of tartar helps make the cookies a little more tender, and gives them a little bit of tanginess in the cookie. You’ll cream together your butter and sugar, mix them for a couple minutes to get the sugar nice and dissolved. Then add in your eggs and vanilla and stir till they’re just combined. Add in the dry ingredients, the flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar and stir till combined. Roll the dough into 2 TBS sized balls, you should get 24 of those balls. And bake them up 12 at a time, lined up on a cookie sheet. The cookies should bake for 10-12 minutes, and they’ll start to crack as they bake so you’ll know they’re done. Allow them to cool completely.
Once the cookies are cooled you’ll microwave up some white chocolate chips. You can also use vanilla candy melts, or even almond bark if you’d like. If you use candy melts you won’t need to add the coconut oil. Otherwise, melt up some white chocolate chips, and a little coconut oil until you can stir it to be nice and melty smooth. Crush up some candy canes in a ziplock bag, with a mallet till they’re small pieces.
Dip each cookie into the melted white chocolate, place it on a silicone liner or some parchment paper and sprinkle the tops immediately with the crushed candy cane pieces. Allow the chocolate to set completely and the cookies are ready to enjoy!
Holiday baking is one of the best parts of this time of year, so make up a batch of these peppermint sugar cookies, and cuddle up with a plate of cookies, a mug of hot cocoa, and a blanket and you’re set for the rest of the season.
Looking for more Christmas Cookies?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
White Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick, softened)
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
For the Topping:
- 2 cups white chocolate chips (can sub white chocolate or vanilla candy melts - don't need coconut oil if you do)
- 1 TBS coconut oil
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together your butter and sugar for about 2 minutes until light and creamy.
- Add in your eggs, and vanilla and stir till just mixed.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar and stir until combined.
- Roll the cookie dough into 2 TBS sized balls.
- Place dough balls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes until they are ever so lightly golden, and the tops are cracking.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the topping:
- Crush the peppermint candies and place in a small bowl.
- Combine white chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small bowl.
- Microwave in 20 second increments, until you can stir smooth.
- Dip cookies half way into the melted white chocolate and place on a silicone liner or some waxed or parchment paper.
- Sprinkle peppermint candy over the top of the white chocolate, covering evenly.
- Allow cookies to sit until white chocolate is set.