Instead of cake, you will love these better than anything brownies. Poked full of sweetened condensed milk and caramel, topped with whipped cream, and chopped up toffee pieces!
I’m sure you’ve all heard of the popular “better than sex cake”. If you haven’t, its a chocolate poke cake, drizzled with a mixture of sweetened condensed milk and caramel, that soaks into the cake to make it extra moist and delicious, then its topped with cool whip and toffee bits. That does sound heavenly, right?
Well, instead of better than anything cake, I decided to try better than anything brownies. And let’s just say they were AMAZING. Nate kept going back from more and said they were the best brownies he’s ever had. But seriously, the sweetened condensed milk and caramel mixture made the brownies so gooey and moist, it was like a mixture of brownie and brownie batter. And then who doesn’t love desserts topped with cool whip.
Plus this delectable dessert is super simple to make with a boxed brownie mix or your favorite basic brownie recipe. I promise this is a recipe you do not want to miss!
- Dry Brownie Mix – and large eggs, vegetable oil, and water as called for on the box, or you can bake up a batch of your favorite easy brownie recipe for the brownie base.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – this keeps the brownies extra sweet and extra moist
- Caramel Topping – the stuff you’d put on ice cream, a homemade caramel sauce should work too
- Cool Whip – This brings it all together, you can also use a homemade whipped cream.
- Heath Chocolate Toffee Bits – These add a sweet buttery crunch on top of the brownies.
How to make Better than Sex Brownies?
- Prepare the brownie batter in a large bowl and bake it up in a square pan according to the package directions. We want to use a square pan to keep the brownies slightly thicker if possible.
- Let the brownies cool for about 5 minutes, then poke them all over the top with a fork or the bottom of a wooden spoon.
- While they’re cooling stir together the condensed milk and caramel in a small bowl. Pour the caramel mixture over the top of the brownies and into the holes. Put the brownies in the fridge for about 1 hour to cool.
- Top the brownies with cool whip, and spread it evenly all over the top of the brownies.
- Sprinkle the toffee pieces evenly over the top of the whipped cream.
- Let the dessert cool in the fridge for another hour, up to overnight before serving.
Tips and Tricks:
- Bake your brownies up in a square pan, 8×8, or 9×9 to keep them as thick as possible, or double the batch and bake them in a 9×13 pan.
- Add some nuts or chocolate chips to the brownie mix, about 1/2 cup will do, for a nice texture, or extra chocolatey flavor.
- These brownies are rich, so cut them up in small pieces to serve.
- Store any leftover brownies in an airtight container, or in a container wrapped tightly with plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 3 days.
I love how a brownie mix has endless possibilities with so many ways to make box brownies better – starting with these amazing better than sex bars. It’s a great way to make an easy dessert that everyone will love without a lot of effort.
Looking for more brownie recipes?
Better than Anything Brownies
- 1 box brownie mix (and necessary ingredients)
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup caramel topping
- 8 oz cool whip
- 1/2 cup heath chocolate toffee baking bits
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9x9 pan with nonstick spray.
- Prepare brownie batter according to package directions. Pour brownie batter into the pan and bake brownies according to directions.
- Allow brownies to cool for about 5 minutes, then poke all over with a fork.
- Combine sweetened condensed milk and caramel topping in a small bowl.
- Pour caramel mixture over the top of brownies. Allow caramel mixture to completely soak into brownies.
- Put brownies in the fridge for about an hour till cool.
- Top brownies with cool whip, spread evenly.
- Pour toffee bits over the top of cool whip.
- Place back in fridge and allow to set for another hour before serving.
Photos Updated 7/30/17
Enjoy these delicious brownies, and you decide if they are really better than anything…