How to decorate chocolate covered Oreos?
Top your chocolate covered with a variety of things to customize them for different occasions.
- chopped up peppermint candies
- mini m&ms
- chopped nuts (peanuts, pecans, cashews, walnuts, etc)
- shredded coconut
- drizzled candy melts
How to make chocolate covered Oreos?
Tips for making Chocolate Covered Oreos:
- Use any flavor of Oreo to change these cookies up from Golden, to Peanut Butter, to Mint, etc.
- Another fun treat is to make chocolate covered Oreo “pops”. You can put these on a stick by pushing a stick up into the creme if your cookies are Double Stuf. Or by opening up the cookie, dipping a stick into the chocolate, then placing the stick into the creme. The chocolate should help hold the stick in place.
- Place the parchment paper under your melted chocolate bowl to catch any extra chocolate that might drip off as you are transferring your cookie to the parchment paper to set.
- Make sure to stir the chocolate a lot in between each time in the microwave. Chocolate holds its heat well and will keep melting in between, and this will help to keep you from overheating the chocolate.
- If you’re worried about overheating your chocolate in the microwave you can also use a double boiler instead. You can use an official double boiler, or any heat safe bowl over a small pot of boiling water. Stir until the chocolate is fully melted.
- White chocolate is much more forgiving than milk, semi sweet, or dark chocolate. Its a lot easier to melt without worrying about overheating, so if you are stressed – use white chocolate chips instead of others!
- You can also use candy melts to make the Oreos different colors, and they usually melt very nice and smooth.
- Dip your Oreo into the chocolate and use a fork to help you flip it over to make sure all sides and edges are covered in chocolate.
- Tap the fork on the edge of the bowl as you lift it out of the chocolate to make sure the extra chocolate from the bottom of the Oreo drips off. You can also scrape the Oreo on the side of the bowl to make sure any extra comes off to avoid feet sticking out at the bottom of the cookies.
- To get the best look with any chocolate drizzles on top make sure to go over the edges. You’ll waste a little extra chocolate, but it will help the drizzle look much better.
How to store Chocolate Covered Oreos?
These are a perfect make ahead treat because they stay good for a while. Chocolate covered Oreos can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Make sure to keep them out of a sunny place, or area that is too warm in your house or the chocolate could melt.
I love making these chocolate covered Oreos around the holidays. Package a few up in a cellophane bag and they’re the perfect little treat bags to give to your friends, and neighbors. Give some to your co-workers, or your kids will love sharing a bag with their teachers at school.
Looking for more Oreo Treats?
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Chocolate Covered Oreos
- 3 cups white chocolate chips or chocolate chips (or do half of each)
- 1 TBS coconut oil
- 14.3 oz package oreos (36 oreos)
- Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a large microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each, until you can stir the chocolate smooth.
- Dip an Oreo into the chocolate and push down or flip over to cover both sides completely.
- Scoop the Oreo out using a fork and tap the side of the bowl with the fork to get extra chocolate to drip off.
- Place onto parchment paper to harden.
- Top with sprinkles, nuts, crushed candies, etc while chocolate is still wet.
- Allow chocolate to harden then drizzle melted candy melts or alternating chocolate onto the top.
- Allow to sit until chocolate is hardened.