This creamy broccoli salad, loaded with fresh broccoli, tangy red onion, dried cranberries, crunchy sunflower seeds, and salty bacon, all coated in a creamy and tangy sauce. It’s perfect for an easy side dish for dinner, or a potluck, or bbq!
Broccoli salad is one of my favorite potluck side dishes. It’s a great option for serving at a summer barbecue, neighborhood potluck, Easter dinner, you name it. It can be thrown together in less than 20 minutes, and is a great make ahead option too.
This broccoli salad is perfectly creamy, crunchy and flavorful! It’s got such a yummy texture with so much crunch from the crisp broccoli and crunchy sunflower seeds. Everything pairs together nicely with the tangy onions, salty and delicious bacon. Paired with the tangy and sweet and creamy dressing it’s such a yummy salad option!
I first had broccoli salad from a nearby grocery store. They have a great deli area, and we love going there for a quick lunch or dinner option. And I just knew I had to find a version to make at home. It’s a great recipe to keep on hand for all spring and summer long.
Ingredients Needed for Broccoli Salad:
- chopped broccoli
- dried cranberries
- sunflower seed kernels
- diced red onion
- cooked bacon
- granulated sugar
- apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
How to make Broccoli Salad?
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper until they’re nice and creamy, set the bowl aside.
In a large bowl, add the chopped broccoli, cranberries, sunflower seeds, onion, and bacon. Toss them together. Pour the dressing over the top of the broccoli mixture and stir the salad together to coat everything evenly in the dressing.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for an hour or two before serving.
Tips for Making the Best Broccoli Salad:
- I’ve seen people also like to add cheddar cheese to their broccoli salads, you can add some that is thickly shredded or cubed. Add about 1 cup of cheese if desired.
- For the best flavor let your salad sit for a little bit. The salad can be enjoyed right away, but I like to let the flavors meddle in the fridge for a couple hours to really get everything coated in the yummy dressing.
- I like to use apple cider vinegar for the dressing, but you can also substitute white wine vinegar.
- Broccoli salad can be made up to 3 days in advanced.
This creamy broccoli is crunchy, salty, tangy and delicious, with the perfect texture in every bite. It’s coated in the best sweet and tangy and creamy dressing, and is perfect for serving up all spring and summer long.
More Potluck Side Dish Ideas:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Creamy Broccoli Salad
For the Dressing:
- 3/4 cup mayonaise (fat free)
- 3 TBS granulated sugar
- 2 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (to taste)
For the Salad:
- 6 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup sunflower seed kernels
- 3/4 cup red onion (diced)
- 3/4 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Add the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper to a small bowl. Whisk them together till the mixture is nice and smooth, then set aside.
- Add the broccoli, cranberries, sunflower seeds, red onion, and bacon to a large bowl. Stir them together.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, and mix it all together till fully combined, and everything is coated evenly in the dressing.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, or a lid, and place it in the fridge for an hour or two before serving!
**This broccoli salad was first posted on December 11, 2015. The photos and text were updated for clarity on May 5, 2021.
**This creamy broccoli salad was original made using SPLENDA®Sweeteners as part of a sponsored post for Socialstars #SplendaSweeties #SweetSwaps. All opinions are my own.