Meyer Lemon Bars are the sweetest tart lemon treat; a buttery flaky crust, fresh squeezed lemon juice and zest creamy center, topped with powdered sugar.
Photo Update: 1/20/16
I made lemon bars again today and I don’t know why I don’t make them everyday or at least every week. We have the sweetest Meyer Lemon tree growing in our front yard. It is the best! Meyer Lemons are the best! They are a sweet lemon and besides making the best lemon bars in the whole world, Meyer lemons make the most delicious homemade lemonade too.
I made lemon bars today to share. Today I shared with my 91 year old widow neighbor. I try to visit her weekly. She is quite the hoot, today she said “I know why I lived so long, you know the saying ‘only the good die young'” while laughing and winking at me and asking “does that worry you?”
She also let me in on a little secret, you should bake because you love to and for those you love. I agree when I am baking I am thinking about those who I will be sharing my goodies with and that brings me joy, lots and lots of joy. Do you find joy in your cooking or baking? I hope so.
And I hope you share these lemon bars with your neighbor whether she is 91 years young or 5 just because you love them and it brings you and them joy.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (divided)
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- 2 TBS lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium bowl add the melted butter, 1 cup flour, and 1/4 cup powdered sugar - mix together completely
- Press into the bottom of a glass 8x8 pan
- Bake for 20 minutes
- In another medium bowl, whip the 2 eggs until creamy
- Add 1 cup white sugar, 2 TBS lemon juice, 2 TBS lemon zest, baking powder, and salt - whisk together until mixed completely
- Remove pan from oven and pour lemon - sugar over the top
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until top is golden and when touched the indent stays
- Cool for 5 minutes
- Sprinkle with the additional 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Cool and cut into 1 inch squares