This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this easy Pita Pizza recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- Greek Style Pitas – you can use whole wheat, or even substitute naan, or other flatbreads, but use the pitas without a pocket
- Pizza Sauce – you can use a homemade pizza sauce, or grab your favorite from the store
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese – or a mix Italian blend cheese
- Pizza Toppings – choose your favorite, or go for a simple cheese, or margarita pizza with only some basil on top of the melted mozzarella cheese balls
Pita Pizza Topping Ideas:
One of the great things about pita pizzas is everyone can make their own personal pizzas and so everyone can choose their own toppings. They’re super customizable and fun! Here are some of my favorite topping ideas.
- red onion or yellow onion, sliced
- bell peppers, sliced
- sliced mushrooms
- sliced black olives, or kalamata olives
- diced jalapenos
- sliced tomatoes
- sun-dried tomatoes
- pineapple chunks
- cooked italian sausage crumbles
- grilled chicken – this is a great way to use up leftover chicken
- sliced ham
- fresh basil leaves (added after cooking)
- fresh cilantro (added after cooking)
- red pepper flakes for a kick
- hot honey
- balsamic vinegar glaze
How to make Pita Pizzas?
- Preheat the oven, and add your pitas to a baking sheet.
- Spread the pizza sauce evenly over the top of the pita. Then sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top.
- Add your choice of toppings over the top of each of the pizzas.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese is golden and the crusts are crisped. Cut up the pizza with a pizza cutter, and enjoy.
Tips and Tricks:
- If you want an extra crispy crusted pizza, try baking your crust for 2 to 3 minutes in the hot oven before adding the toppings.
- Instead of using a traditional marinara pizza sauce, try alfredo sauce, pesto, or bbq sauce with your choice of toppings. I love bbq chicken pizzas personally, but other great options would be a pesto and tomato pizza, or buffalo chicken pita pizza.
- Don’t stack too many toppings on each pizza. As much as we want to add a lot if you love supreme pizzas, or others with lots of toppings its better to not stack the toppings too high to keep the pizzas cooking evenly.
- These pizzas can easily be baked in a toaster oven, if you’re making only one or two pizzas.
How to make Pita Pizzas in the air fryer?
These pizzas can also be cooked in the air fryer, which is what I like to do when I’m just making one or two for my kids for lunch.
Dress the pita with your sauce, cheese, and toppings like you would, but put any light toppings like pepperoni under neath the cheese so they don’t blow around in the air fryer.
Add the pita pizzas to the air fryer and cook them in there at 375 F for about 4- to 7 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and the crust is crispy.
Additional pita pizzas will cook faster than the first since the air fryer will already be extra hot.
How to store?
Usually since these mini pizzas only take a few minutes to put together, and bake I just make as many as we will eat right away. But if you have some slices, or a whole pizza leftover you can store it in a ziplock bag or other airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 or 4days.
You can reheat them back in the oven at 350 F for about 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is remelted and they are hot throughout.
These pita pizzas are a great quick meal when you need a dinner idea that everyone will love. Let everyone pick their favorite toppings for their pizzas, and it’ll be a meal everyone will gobble up.
More pizza recipes:
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
- 6 Greek Style Pitas
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- cooked italian sausage
- sliced onion
- sliced bell pepper
- sliced olives
- fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place pitas onto a baking sheet or two, not overlapping.
- Top each pizza with a 2-3 TBS of pizza sauce, spread evenly over the top not quite to the edges.
- Sprinkle about 1/4 to 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese over the top of each pizza.
- Top each pizza with your favorite pizza toppings.
- Bake pizzas in the preheated oven for 8-12 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and melted. Repeat with additional pizzas as needed.
- Let pizzas sit for about 2-3 minutes, then slice them up and serve.
This pita pizza recipe was first posted on March 26, 2011. The photos and text were updated on February 1, 2023.