Reindeer Chow Variations:
Add in some mini peanut butter cups for an extra chocolate and peanut butter boost.
- Add some salted peanuts to the mix, for a little extra salty crunch.
Add some mini marshmallows to the mix as some “snowballs”.
- Add some whoppers to the mix, as reindeer noses.
Instead of chocolate chips, try white chocolate instead. You can use them with or without the peanut butter, I know some don’t like the white chocolate/peanut butter combination. But if you leave the peanut butter out, add 1 extra cup of white chocolate chips to make up for the lost volume in the spread to coat the cereal.
- Instead of regular m&ms, try using peanut butter or peanut m&ms for a fun peanutty twist.
How to make Reindeer Chow?
Add the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each until it’s nice and creamy. Stir in the vanilla and sea salt.
Pour the chocolate mixture over the chex and pretzels in a large bowl. Gently stir it all together to coat the cereal in the chocolate mixture.
Scoop the chocolate covered cereal into a gallon sized zip top bag and add in the powdered sugar. (You may have to divide it into 2 bags and half the powdered sugar). Shake it all up to coat it with the powdered sugar.
Pour it into a clean bowl and mix in the m&ms, pretzels, and sprinkles. Spread it all out onto a sheet of parchment paper until the chocolate is completely set.
How to Store Reindeer Chow?
More Easy Holiday Recipes:
- Microwave Caramels
- Chocolate Covered Oreos
- Rolo Reindeer Pretzels
- Peppermint Bark Fudge
- Red Velvet Cake Balls
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
- 9 cups chex cereal
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 cups mini pretzels (divided)
- 10 oz Christmas m&ms
- 1/2 cup Christmas sprinkles (optional)
- Add the chex cereal and 1 cup of the mini pretzels to a giant mixing bowl.
- Combine the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a medium sized microwave proof bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each, until you can stir it smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla extract, and sea salt.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal and pretzels and gently stir to coat the cereal completely with the mixture.
- Add the cereal to a large gallon sized zip top bag, add in the powdered sugar too. (I often do half the cereal and half the powdered sugar at a time, since it makes so much). Shake it all up to cover the cereal completely in the powdered sugar.
- Pour the muddy buddies into a large clean bowl, and stir in the remaining pretzels, the m&ms, and the sprinkles.
- Spread the mixture out onto parchment paper and allow to set till the chocolate is hardened, about 20 minutes.