This skillet lasagna is a fast, and easy way to make lasagna all in one pot. It’s got the same great lasagna flavors, without pre-boiling, layering, or extra cleaning!
I love Italian food, pizza, pasta, gelato, you name it. One of my favorite Italian dishes is traditional lasagna, but it can be such a time consuming process, that I only make it once a year or so. This lasagna skillet is the perfect solution. It has all the same great flavors as a big oven baked lasagna, but with so much less work, and made in a fraction of the time!
This delicious skillet lasagna is the perfect easy recipe for busy weeknights because it’s ready in only about 40 minutes, and you still get those same great classic lasagna flavors, in the ultimate comfort food all in one dish, which is great for quick clean up too.
Serve this yummy pasta with some garlic bread sticks, a side salad, or some roasted veggies for a full meal the whole family will love!
Why make Skillet Lasagna?
- No pre-cooking of the noodles
- No layering the noodles, sauce, cheese
- No baking
- Everything comes together in one pot
Ingredients needed to make one pot lasagna:
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- yellow onion
- minced garlic
- ground beef
- tomato sauce
- dried basil
- dried oregano
- garlic powder
- lasagna noodles
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- shredded parmesan cheese
- fresh ricotta cheese
How to make Skillet Lasagna?
- Cook the ground beef in the pan, then add in the onion and minced garlic until its all cooked through and soft.
- Add in the tomato sauce, dried herbs, and garlic salt. Then add in broken lasagna noodle pieces. Stir it all up and let it cook until the noodles are al dente.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top and gently stir it into the noodles. Add the dollops of ricotta over the top and let it cook for another couple minutes until the cheese is melted. Top with fresh basil and serve hot!
Tips to make Skillet Lasagna:
- Add Italian sausage instead of ground beef. Or add 1/2 pound ground sausage, 1/2 pound ground beef. You could also try ground turkey.
- Use another variety of noodles if desired, bowtie pasta, or penne work great for example.
- Try adding some diced up vegetables to the lasagna, you’ll want them to saute with the onions. You could also add bell peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, etc. Probably about 1 cup total.
- Instead of basil and oregano try adding Italian seasoning, about 1 TBS total.
- Instead of the tomato sauce and seasonings, add 28 to 30 oz of your favorite pasta sauce if desired.
- If your sauce mixture starts to dry out and thicken too much, add more tomato sauce, or some water, or beef broth to the pan.
- Try adding red pepper flakes to your sauce for a nice kick!
How to store leftovers?
The leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days. Reheat any leftovers in the microwave until warm throughout.
This easy skillet lasagna recipe is going to be a new family favorite. It’s a great meal for any night of the week, and is so cheesy, saucy, and delicious.
Looking for more pasta recipes?
- One pot Sausage Pasta
- One Pot Chicken Alfredo Pasta
- One Pot Lemon Chicken Pasta
- One Pot Taco Pasta
- Lasagna Soup
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Email
- 1 small yellow onion (chopped, about 1 cup)
- 1 TBS minced garlic (minced)
- 1 lb ground beef (optional)
- 29 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 TBS dried basil
- 1/2 TBS dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (to taste)
- 1/2 salt (to taste)
- 8 oz lasagna noodles (broken into pieces)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- In a large skillet, heat the pan over medium high heat.
- Add in the ground beef, let it brown and crumble it up into pieces as it cooks.
- Add in the chopped onion and garlic and let it cook for another few minutes until the meat is cooked through and the onion starts to soften.
- Add in the tomato sauce, herbs, garlic powder, salt, and broken lasagna pieces, making sure to cover the noodles completely. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling cover the pot, lower the temperature to medium low, and let it continue to simmer for 13 to 18 minutes, or until the noodles are tender, stirring occasionally. **
- Add shredded cheese over the noodles, and stir slightly.
- Drop the ricotta in dollops over the top of the noodles. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Top with fresh basil, and serve hot.
This skillet lasagna was first posted on September 26 2012. The photos and blog text were updated on May 4, 2022 for clarity.
About how many servings does this make? This looks awesome, I think I’ll make it tonight!
Aimee Berrett says
I think probably 4-6 servings depending how big you make them! Hope you like it!
Wouldn’t it be easier it break the noodles BEFORE. Boiling them? How do you “break” boiled noodles?
Aimee Berrett says
I’m sure you could break them up before boiling, but its easy enough to break them into pieces after their cooked as well.
This looks so yummy I can’t wait to try it!
This was GREAT and EASY too! To me the secret is browning the little chunks of ground beef in batches so the chunks all get nicely browned and salted. I don’t have cast iron so I used stainless steel on medium high. I used 1 can tomato sauce and 1 can diced tomatoes. Topped with fresh grated parmesan. This is definitely a new favorite!
That looks amazing and very rustic ….. I love how the noodles look broken and *NOT* perfect. Whenever I make lasagna (the time-consuming way), it seems my noodles are falling apart or too long for the dish or too short and it’s *NEVER* as pretty as the pictures. Blahhh!!!!!!!! Thanks for the recipe. Blessings. =)
Nicole @ Three 31
Thanks so much! The lasagna was so much easier than a bake in the oven lasagna, and I think it tasted just as good too. Hope you’ll try it out!