These sweet potato black bean tacos are healthy, delicious, and a tasty vegetarian meal. Top them with your favorite toppings like cilantro, red onion, avocado, and more!
These tacos combine the delicious flavors of sweet potatoes, black beans, cilantro, cheese, red onion and more to come together to make a delicious and vegetarian meal! They’re a perfect meal option if you’re trying to eat less meat, and so delicious even meat lovers will gobble these right up.
I went from practically hating sweet potatoes, to now loving them. They are one of the regular vegetables Craig and I received in our local CSA box (Community Supported Agriculture). So I had to learn to like them. And thankfully I did! There are so many delicious ways to prepare them. A few of my favorites are our sweet potato patties, sweet potato casserole, and sweet potato pancakes.
What toppings to put on sweet potato and black bean tacos?
- cheddar, colby jack, or monterey jack cheese
- crumbled feta or cotija cheese
- red onion
- shredded lettuce
- lime juice
- sriracha or other hot sauce
- sour cream.
How to make sweet potato black bean tacos?
Peel and cut your sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes. Toss the sweet potato pieces in olive oil, then salt and pepper and spread them on a baking sheet. Roast them in a preheated oven for 20-30 minutes, until they are golden brown on the outside, and can be poked through and with a fork, and are tender in the middle.
**Instead of roasting your sweet potato pieces you can also steam them in the microwave to cook. You will put the cubes in a microwave safe bowl, cover the bowl, and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes until tender, then toss them with the oil and salt and pepper. This way they will definitely be more soft, and won’t have the crunchy crispy caramelized edges that baking them gives you, but can be done if you need dinner in a jiffy.
Warm your tortillas on the stove top with a small frying pan for about 1 minute (or again in the microwave – for about 30 seconds). Layer 2 corn tortillas, then top them with sweet potato pieces, black beans, chopped red onion, grated cheese, avocado, and cilantro. Squeeze lime juice over the top of all the filling ingredients. Top with sriracha or other hot sauce if desired.
These sweet potato black bean tacos are flavorful, filling and so delicious. They are so easy to make and ready in only about 40 minutes and are perfect for a quick and delicious dinner!
Looking for more Vegetarian Recipes?
- Lentil and Brown Rice Tacos
- Rainbow Pizza
- Vegetarian Alfredo Lasagna
- Potato and Black Eyed Pea Tacos
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Black Bean Sweet Potato Tacos
- 1 sweet potato (peeled and cubed into 1/2 cubes)
- 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp pepper (to taste)
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 15 oz can black beans (drained, and rinsed)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 avocado (diced)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 lime (cut into wedges)
- sriracha sauce or hot sauce (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the sweet potato cubes in olive oil, and salt and pepper and spread on a baking sheet.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes until they are golden brown, and fork tender.
- Warm corn tortillas either on the stove top with a small frying pan sprayed with cooking oil for about 1 minute or in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
- Put all other ingredients in serving bowls and place on table.
- On your plate layer 2 corn tortillas (1 doesn’t seem to be strong enough to contain everything), sweet potatoes, black beans, red onions, grated cheese, avocado, and cilantro according to amounts you like.
- Squeeze lime juice over the top of everything.
- Top with either sriracha or other hot sauce, if desired.
These sweet potato and black bean tacos were first posted on December 10, 2013. The photos and text were updated on August 19, 2020.