This double chocolate zucchini bread is moist, delicious, and the perfect way to get your chocolate fix. You’ll forget that there is even zucchini in it!
I got this yummy chocolate zucchini bread recipe from Nate’s aunt, and her from her mom. They make it is a cake in a 9×13 pan, and its delicious enough to be one. But I think a loaf of bread is cuter.
It’s the season of ripe zucchini, and lots of it. We didn’t plant a garden this year because we’re still working on getting sprinklers and grass in our yard at our new house, let alone a garden. But next year we’ll have 4 garden boxes and you better believe I’ll be growing a zucchini plant to make this sweet zucchini bread all summer long!
I love baking with zucchini because it makes me feel a little less guilty about eating sweets when they’re vegetables in the middle. This chocolate zucchini bread is so good however that you’ll forget about the zucchini inside of it at all, and instead think you’re eating a delicious slice of double chocolate cake!
This double chocolate zucchini bread is made with double chocolate thanks to the cocoa powder in the batter and chocolate chips throughout. The chocolate chips give you those perfect extra bites of sweet chocolate throughout. The bread is kept moist and fudgy throughout thanks to the shredded zucchini, and since it uses oil and butter that keeps it extra moist too.
The recipe makes two 9×5 inch loaves of bread, so this is the perfect recipe for sharing with your friends or your neighbors. I promise they’ll be super grateful for it! The recipe can be cut in half if you want as well.
It’s not exactly healthy, but it is delicious, and I promise you’ll love it!
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 5 TBS cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter (softened)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter milk**
- 2 cups zucchini (shredded)
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and cocoa powder in a large bowl.
- In another bowl mix together the sugar, oil, and butter.
- Add in the eggs, and vanilla and mix till combined.
- Stir the buttermilk into the wet mixture.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients, and stir everything together until just blended.
- Fold in the zucchini and then the chocolate chips.
- Prepare 2 9x5 loaf pans by spraying them with nonstick spray.
- Pour batter equally into the 2 loaf pans.
- Bake in oven for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Allow to cool in pan for a bit before removing and slicing.
This double chocolate zucchini bread was first posted on September 11, 2012. Photos and text updated on July 18, 2018.