This red, white, and blue fruit salad is such a refreshing, and patriotic dish for your next summer gathering. It’s full of strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, watermelon, and apples for a fun, festive side dish that is sure to impress. It’s perfect for Memorial Day, Fourth of July, or all summer long.
This red white and blue fruit salad is a colorful and festive dish that is perfect for any summer gathering, or your favorite patriotic holidays. It has red, white (or light yellow), and blue fruits all mixed together with a lightly tangy and sweet dressing for an easy, and easy side dish that is perfect for summer barbecues, summer picnics, or summer potlucks.
Perfect paired with some grilled hot dogs, cheeseburgers, grilled chicken or steaks, and your favorite pasta salads, chips, and corn on the cob.
The red in the salad comes from sweet fresh strawberries, tangy raspberries, and juicy watermelon. The fresh fruits are sweet, and give the festive fruit salad such a nice vibrant red colors, and burst of flavors.
The white in the salad comes from sliced crisp apples that are carefully cut into small star shapes. They add a little fun and extra festivity to the salad, plus a nice crunch.
The blue in the red white and blue salad comes from plump, and juicy blueberries. They’re full of antioxidants, and such a nice burst of flavor, and they add a beautiful blue color to the salad.
They all come together to create a delicious and visually stunning dish that is unique, fresh, and sweet. And the best part is its such a fresh, healthy, and delicious dish that doesn’t take much time, and doesn’t require heating up your oven!
It’s the perfect dish to make if you’re hosting a barbecue, bringing a dish to share at a neighborhood potluck, or in need of patriotic dish to celebrate the season.
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Red, White, and Blue Fruit Salad Recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- limes or lemons
- fresh mint leaves
How to make Red White and Blue Fruit Salad?
- Cut the watermelon into 1/2 inch slices, then use a small 2inch star cutter to cut out as many watermelon stars as you can. You can also dice the watermelon into cubes if you want.
- Slice the apples into 1/4 inch slices and use a 1inch star cutter to cut out as many apple stars as you can. Toss them in lemon juice or lime juice to keep them from browning.
- Rinse the strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries, and cut the strawberries in half or into slices if they are extra large. Add all the fruit to a large bowl.
- In another small bowl, mix together the lime juice honey, and mint and stir them together. Then pour the dressing over the fruit and carefully toss it together to coat. Refrigerate the salad in a covered container for at least 15 minutes, up to 4 hours, then serve.
Tips and Tricks:
- Add in some blackberries for other blue colors. Golden raspberries, pineapple, white melons, white peaches, or jicama for some other white fruit options. Try some red grapes, or cherries for other red fruits.
- Toss your salad in cool whip or whipped cream for an extra white, and extra sweet creamy fruit salad.
- These are the star cookie cutters I used for this salad.
- Organize your fruit in a shallow baking dish in an easy red white and blue American Flag pattern with the berries at the top left corner with some white stars on top, alternating rows of the red fruits, and white apples next to it for the stripes, for an extra festive touch, drizzle the sweet dressing over each section.
How to store leftovers?
This fruit salad is best made the day that you plan on serving it, but you can make it a few hours in advance. Over too much longer the fruit will become a bit soggy and overly soft. If you do need to make the salad several hours in advance add the honey lime dressing just shortly before serving.
If you do have leftovers though, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 or 3 days, and hope for the best.
This perfect patriotic salad is such a great addition to your Memorial Day Potluck or July 4th Picnic. It’s such a refreshing, delicious, and beautiful salad packed with your favorite summer fruits and is sure to be a hit with everyone.
More summer side dish recipes:
- Crockpot Baked Beans
- Frog Eye Salad
- Ambrosia Salad
- Creamy Broccoli Salad
- Mexican Street corn Dip
- Creamy Pasta Salad with Peas
More Patriotic Recipes:
- Red White and Blue Bundt Cake
- Red White and Blue Popcorn
- Red White and Blue Fruit Pizza
- American Flag Sheet Cake
- Red White and Blue Trifle
- 4th of July Strawberries
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
Red White and Blue Fruit Salad
- 1 small seedless watermelon
- 3-4 large apples
- 8 oz strawberries (washed and patted dry)
- 12 oz raspberries (rinsed)
- 11 oz blueberries (washed and patted dry)
- 3 TBS honey
- 2 limes (juiced)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- Cut the watermelon into 1/2 inch thick slices. Use a 2inch star cutter to cut out as many watermelon stars as you can, to get about 3-4 cups of watermelon stars. (Alternatively you can cut them into cubes) Add the watermelon pieces to a large serving bowl.
- Slice the apples into 1/4inch slices and use a 1inch star cutter to cut out as many apple stars as you can. Toss them in juice from 1/2 of one of the limes to keep them from browning. Add them to the serving bowl.
- Cut the tops off the strawberries and cut them in half. Cut them into slices if the strawberries are extra large, add the strawberries to the large serving bowl.
- Add the raspberries and blueberries to the bowl and carefully toss the fruit together.
- Add the honey, remaining lime juice, and chopped mint to a small bowl and stir them together.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and carefully mix it together to coat the fruit in the dressing.
- Cover the fruit and place it in the fridge for about 15 minutes, then serve.