Chocolate chip cookies hold a special place in the hearts of many, and everyone seems to think they have the best recipe – but I’m here to argue that these chocolate chip cookies are the best of the best. These cookies have crispy edges, chewy middles, stay nice and thick, and soft – all without chilling the dough!
These chocolate chip cookies are the best of the best. They’re soft, thick, and chunky full of lots of chocolate chips. They’re chewy, with a nice crispy edge, and the best cookie flavor. And did I mention you don’t even need to chill the dough, and the cookies stay nice and thick!?
Why these Chocolate Chip Cookies are the best
- No Chill – The cookie dough for these cookies doesn’t need any chilling, just mix and bake – you’ll be baking cookies in about 10 minutes, and eating them in less than 30 minutes.
- Perfect Texture – Chewy and soft middles, and crispy edges these cookies have the best texture in every bite.
- The Best Flavor – A lightly vanilla flavored, buttery, sweet cookie – these are loaded with chocolate chips and have such a great flavor in every bite.
- Timeless Comfort – Chocolate chip cookies are as classic as it gets and these are perfect for those late night snacks, afternoon treats, or whenever the craving strikes.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- unsalted butter – this adds a nice butter flavor and helps hold the cookie dough together
- brown sugar – adds a sweetness, and gives the cookies a nice chewy flavor
- granulated sugar – adds sweetness to the cookies
- eggs – binds the cookie ingredients together
- vanilla extract -adds a nice flavor
- all purpose flour – holds the structure of the cookies
- baking soda – leavens the cookies and makes them soft and chewy
- salt – balances and enhances the flavors
- chocolate chips – pick your favorite, dark chocolate chips, semi-sweet, milk chocolate chips, etc.
How to make ultimate chocolate chip cookies
- Cream together the butter and sugars for about 2 to 3 minutes until the mixture is light in color, and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and stir them into the mixture until just combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients; flour, baking soda, and salt and stir it together until you have a nice soft cookie dough.
- Add in the chocolate chips and fold them into the dough until they are evenly mixed.
- Scoop the cookie dough into 2 or 3 TBS portions (mine photographed are about 2.5 TBS) and roll them into balls. Place them about 3 inches apart on a lined cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies until they are just golden on the edges, and the top is barely set. (The cookies will keep cooking on the cookie sheet out of the oven). Let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for 5 to 10 minutes, then carefully transfer them to a cooling rack to continue cooling, or enjoy immediately!
Tips to making Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Do not over bake the cookies – Cook the cookies until the edges start to firm and turn golden colored. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them finish baking on the cookie sheet outside of the oven. This will give you the perfect soft and chewy cookies
- Add extra chocolate chips – Top the cookie dough balls with 4 to 6 extra chocolate chips before baking them, bake, and then add a few extra chocolate chips in any bare spaces on top of the cookies once you bring them out of the oven. They will still be warm enough to soften and stick to the cookies.
- Add sea salt – I love a little extra salt on almost all my cookies, and a little coarse sea salt is the perfect way to take the cookies to the next level.
- Experiment with different mix ins – Try different flavors of chocolate chips, or other chips, like white baking chips, butterscotch chips. Add some nuts, dried fruit or coconut, etc. For a different flavor and texture. (Try to keep the mix-ins to no more than 3 cups)
- Uniform Cookie Balls – Use a cookie scoop, or weigh your cookie dough balls to keep them nice and uniform in size, which will also ensure they bake evenly.
How to store Cookies?
Let the cookies cool to room temperature, then transfer them to an airtight container on the counter for up to 4 or 5 days. Place a large marshmallow or two in the container after the first couple of days to keep the cookies extra soft. I also like to microwave my day old cookies for about 20 seconds, or air fry them for 2 to 3 minutes to make the insides warm and gooey, and closer to fresh baked.
How to freeze soft batch chocolate chip cookies?
The cookies can also be frozen, transfer them to a freezer safe container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. You can thaw them for a couple hours at room temperature before enjoying, or heat them up in the microwave at low power until soft.
How to freeze chocolate chip cookie dough?
Portion the cookie dough into balls, like you would if you were baking them. Top them with extra chocolate chips if desired. Then place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet (they can be close together since you’re not baking them now) and freeze them for 1 hour. Transfer the cookie dough balls to a freezer safe ziplock bag and freeze them for up to 3 months.
Bake the cookies directly from frozen by pre-heating the oven to 350 F. Add about 2 minutes to the baking time to ensure they cook until the edges are light brown in color, then enjoy fresh cookies whenever the craving strikes.
With our recipe and tips you’re now well equipped to create your own batch of irresistible chewy chocolate chip cookies that you, your family, and all your friends will love. Enjoy a warm gooey cookie straight from the oven with a glass of milk!
More Cookie Recipes
- Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Meringue Cookies
- Easy Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
- Nutella Cookies
- Hot Chocolate Cookies
- Coconut Girl Scout Cookies
- Applesauce Cookies
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
My Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened, 2 sticks)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups flour (spoon and level, or weigh)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips (+ Extra for topping)
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet or two with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- Cream together the butter and sugars in a large bowl for about 3 minutes.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and stir into the creamed butter.
- Add the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and salt) to the wet ingredients and stir everything together till combined, and you have a nice soft cookie dough.
- Add in the chocolate chips and fold them evenly into the batter.
- Scoop the cookie dough into large 2.5 TBS sized cookie balls. Roll them into smooth balls.
- Place cookie balls onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Top the cookie dough balls with a few extra chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake the cookies for about 9-11 minutes, or until the edges just start to turn golden.
- Remove the pan from the oven.
- Leave the cookies on the baking sheet for about 5 to 10 minutes to cool, and continue baking.
- Remove cookies to cooling rack to cool completely, or enjoy after a few more minutes warm.
These soft batch chocolate chip cookies were first posted on October 27, 2014. The photos and text were updated for clarity on February 10, 2024.