The deliciousness of grilled cheese sandwiches just got better with garlic butter and a 2nd cheese of mozzarella.
**This post is sponsored by Dave’s Killer Bread. All opinions are my own.
When I was working at Legend’s Grille (a restaurant on campus at BYU where I went to school) I would sometimes make this cheesy garlic bread with a slice of bread spread with this garlic butter and sprinkled with mozzarella. That’s where I got the idea for this garlic butter grilled cheese sandwich. And as soon as I got the package from Dave’s Killer Bread I knew that’s what I wanted to make with it.
Dave’s Killer Breads are all thinly sliced breads so you don’t have to have the extra calories. The bread slices get nice and crispy and this grilled cheese recipe is amazing. And they all have no artificial preservatives, no artificial ingredients and no high fructose corn syrup. They have 9 different kinds of slices of bread, 21 Whole Grains and Seeds, Good Seed, Blues Bread, Powerseed, Rockin’ Rye, Sprouted Wheat, Spelt and their 2 new kinds – Seeded Honey Wheat and 100% Whole Wheat.
The 100% Whole Wheat is packed full of 4 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber. The Seeded Honey Wheat is packed full of seeds on the inside and the outside and has 5 grams of protein, 5 grams of fiber and mega omegas.
- For the homemade garlic butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 TB garlic (minced) fresh garlic preferred
- this tastes better than garlic powder but garlic powder can be used
- 1/4 salt
- For the grilled cheese
- 8 slices Dave’s Killer Bread Seeded Honey Wheat
- 4 thin slices swiss cheese
- 4 thin slices cheddar cheese
- 4 thin slices mozzarella cheese
Sounds delicious right? That’s why I knew it would be the perfect fit for my garlic butter grilled cheese. And it was. The perfect fit and delicious and the cheese melts perfectly. Mix up your ingredients in a small bowl and you are ready to go.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can you add to a grilled cheese to make it taste better?
Of course! Try adding things like parmesan cheese or drizzling olive oil into a large nonstick skillet over medium heat to add a little olive oil flavor to the garlic butter. Of course, this is an excellent sandwich to pair with a tomato soup with the ooey-gooey melted cheese and fresh taste of the garlic cloves. It is a simple recipe that is next level and it helps you take your grilled cheese sandwich beyond simply bread and slices of cheese into the best grilled cheese sandwich you have ever made (or had!).
What can I use instead of butter to make a grilled cheese?
You can use olive oil in a large nonstick to get that golden brown bread and still have a crisp flavor. If you have an olive oil sprayer, try spraying each side of bread before throwing it in the pan so that the bread can have additional crisp and flavor when you cook it. This makes an easy lunch with melty cheese and an extra pop of flavor.
What kind of cheese makes the best kind of grilled cheese?
The best kind of cheese for a grilled cheese isn’t just one cheese- it’s several! A mix of swiss, sharp cheddar cheese, and mozzarella is an excellent and delicious mix of cheeses. Already having some garlic butter spread makes it even easier to take your ordinary grilled cheese sandwich and make it amazing with different kinds of cheese besides the traditional american cheese that most regular grilled cheese sandwiches have.
Garlic Butter Grilled Cheese
For the Garlic Butter:
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick, softened)
- 1/2 TBS garlic (minced)
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Grilled Cheese:
- 8 slices Dave's Killer Bread Seeded Honey Wheat
- 4 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 4 thin slices cheddar cheese
- 4 thin slices mozzarella cheese.
- Preheat a griddle or a pan on the stove top to medium heat.
- In a small bowl mix your butter, garlic and salt together. Set aside.
- Lay out one slice of bread, top with a slice of Swiss cheese, then cheddar, then mozzarella and then top with another slice of bread.
- Spread one side of sandwich with about 1/2 TBS of the garlic butter. Place onto your griddle, spread side down.
- Coat top side with additional 1/2 TBS garlic butter.
- Flip sandwich after a couple minutes and once bottom starts to turn golden brown.
- Cook for additional 2 minutes until cheese is fully melted.
- Repeat with additional sandwiches.
Enjoy this delicious grilled cheese and some delicious Dave’s Killer Bread!