This Oreo Frosting is a creamy frosting, loaded with Oreo cookie pieces for a perfect cookies and cream flavor. It’s made in just 10 minutes, and is perfect for topping cakes, cupcakes, cookies and more.
When you add America’s favorite cookie “Oreos” to our favorite american buttercream frosting it’s a combo made in heaven.
This Oreo frosting is so good! If you love Oreos you will love adding it your next dessert to take it to the next level. It’s a unique addition to any cake, cupcake, cookie, or other dessert. We love it on top of Oreo cupcakes, double chocolate brownies, an Oreo cookie cake, or in the middle of our homemade Oreos.
You only need 6 simple ingredients, and 10 minutes to make this delicious Oreo buttercream. And if your family loves Oreos as much as we do, you’ll have all the ingredients in your pantry right now.
This is a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need for this Oreo Frosting Recipe. Specific measurements and full recipe instructions are in the printable recipe card below.
- Oreo cookies – add the whole cookie, filling and all. You want them to be crushed into fine crumbs in a food processor so you can still pipe the frosting.
- Unsalted Butter – I always recommend using unsalted butter because different brands add different amounts of salt to their butter, so you can get the exact amount of salt you want. If you use salted butter I recommend leaving out the salt as called for in the recipe.
- Powdered Sugar (Also known as Confectioner’s Sugar) – if it looks extra lumpy, I recommend sifting it before you add it to the frosting. Measure it out, then sift.
- Heavy Cream – this thins out the frosting, and gives it the perfect smooth consistency. Add more as needed to get a nice fluffy, smooth texture.
- Vanilla Extract – this adds a great flavor to the buttercream. If you want a whiter frosting you can use a clear imitation vanilla extract.
- Salt – just a dash, taste the salt and add more if you want more
How to make Oreo Frosting?
- Blend the Oreo cookies into a fine crumb in a food processor or high powered blender. Add in the frosting and carefully fold it into the frosting until evenly distributed.
- Add the softened butter to a stand mixer, or large mixing bowl (personally I like to use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment), but a hand mixer with a whisk attachment work as well. Beat the frosting for a couple of minutes until it is nice and smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing on low speed after each addition until you have added the 4 cups. This will help prevent the powdered sugar from shooting over the sides of the bowl (hopefully). Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl as needed to make sure the butter is getting mixed in. Add in the heavy cream, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt and beat it until you have a nice, smooth, and fluffy consistency. Add in a little more cream as needed to get a smooth consistency and texture in the frosting.
- Add the Oreo crumbs to the frosting, and stir them evenly into the mixture. Use on your favorite baked goods.
Tips and Tricks:
- You want your Oreo crumbs to be as fine as possible for the frosting, otherwise the pieces may end up clogging the piping tip. I blended mine with a food processor.
- Try other Oreo flavors, instead of classic for a fun twist to this frosting. How good would it be with Mint Oreos, Lemon, Double Chocolate, etc.
- Save a few of the Oreo cookie crumbs, or blend up an extra cookie to sprinkle some crumbs on top of your frosting on your dessert.
- Add a little more powdered sugar about 1/4 cup at a time, or more heavy cream, 1/2 TBS at a time, to get the right consistency of your frosting. More heavy cream can make the frosting extra smooth and spreadable for a sheet cake.
How to store cookies and cream frosting ?
This frosting will last for up to 7 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can make the frosting ahead of time and add it to your favorite desserts when you are ready to use it.
Bring the frosting to room temperature before piping it onto the cupcakes. If it is too hard, beat in a Tablespoon or two of heavy cream until soft enough to pipe.
You can also freeze the frosting in a freezer safe container for up 2 months. Let it thaw overnight in the fridge, then let it come to room temperature. Beat it until it’s soft and fluffy again, adding more cream if needed.
How much frosting does this recipe make?
This recipe makes about 3 cups of frosting. This should be enough to generously frost 14 to 16 cupcakes, a 9×13 cake. I recommend doubling the recipe for a triple layer 8 or 9inch cake.
When to use Oreo Frosting?
This Oreo frosting is great to add to a variety of baked goods, here are some of our favorites:
- Sugar Cookies
- Vanilla Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cupcakes or Chocolate Cake
- Oreo Cupcakes
- In the middle of Whoopie pies or Homemade Oreos
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches
- Cookie Cake
This homemade cookies and cream frosting is going to elevate your dessert game. It’s smooth and creamy, with a vanilla and chocolate flavor mixed throughout. The perfect topping for your cakes, cupcakes, cookies, or to eat by the spoonful, this is the best Oreo frosting and perfect for Oreo lovers.
More Oreo Desserts
- Oreo Truffles
- How to make Chocolate Covered Oreos
- Oreo Mug Cake
- Cookie Dough Oreos
- Air Fried Oreos
- Oreo Cream Pie
- Cookies and Cream Muddy Buddies
Connect with Like Mother, Like Daughter
Be sure to follow us on social media, so you never miss a single post!
- 10 Oreo cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 3.5 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
- 3-4 TBS heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Add the Oreo cookies to a food processor and blend them up until they are a fine crumb. Set it aside.
- Add the butter to a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, or large mixing bowl with a handheld mixer. Beat it for 1 to 2 minutes until smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, mixing on low speed until each cup is mixed in completely. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Add in the heavy cream (start with 3 TBS), vanilla extract, and salt and mix on medium speed until everything is well combined.
- Mix the frosting for another 2 to 3 minutes at medium speed until the frosting is smooth and fluffy. Add a little more powdered sugar, or heavy cream as needed to get the right consistency.
- Add the Oreo cookie crumbs to the frosting and mix it into the frosting evenly.
- Use the frosting to pipe, or spread onto your favorite cake, cupcakes, or other baked goods.