Simple Granola

Here I go again… When I was in Vienna on my study abroad, my most favorite breakfast was yogurt with muesli on top. Muesli is basically uncooked granola (also known as rolled outs) with lots of fruits and nuts in it. My favorites had either dried strawberries or banana and I don’t remember what else,  I think chocolate pieces. Very breakfasty, right? Well it was delicious. And from there I grew to love the crunchy texture of the cereal on top of my morning yogurt.

Well, fast forward a couple years, and muesli isn’t readily available here in Utah. But what is available instead is granola, and for the past couple years I have been enjoying granola on top of my yogurt, or just as cereal with milk. I especially love this Quaker Natural Granola that is available at Costco and is SO delicious.

001editedsmall

Well, I finally decided this week that it would be easy enough to make my own granola at home. Actually I wanted to make granola bars and they all say to start with granola (I was thinking it would be uncooked oats) so I made homemade granola. I stuck with a basic recipe for my first try, with no mix ins, but I’m definitely going to add raisins and almond slivers next time, like the Quaker version.

But this simple granola turned out really delicious. I’m thrilled to be able to eat it on top of my daily (or every other daily) yogurt and I’ve got a few other yummy recipes with it coming up soon! Ps. Nate even loves it too (which is always a good sign!), he was hungry last night and had a bowl of my homemade granola with milk.

004editedsmall

Simple Granola

Ingredients
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup honey
  • ¼ cup canola oil
  • 4 cups old fashioned oats
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp salt
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
  2. Combine brown sugar, honey and canola oil in a small sauce pan over medium heat.
  3. Cook, stirring often until sugar is dissolved.
  4. Pour brown sugar mixture over oats and add cinnamon and salt. Stir until oats are evenly coated.
  5. Spread granola mixture over a cookie sheet (sprayed with pam) and press mixture down.
  6. Place in oven and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15-20 minutes.
  7. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before breaking apart and into pieces.
  8. Store in a ziplock bag or other air tight container.

Enjoy as a snack by the handful, on top of yogurt, or with milk!

002editedsmall

GET READY TO MAKE THIS SIMPLE GRANOLA BASE WITH THESE GREAT KITCHEN TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS:

You might also like these other granola recipes:

Peanut Butter Granola

peanut butter granola 1

Nut and Seed Granola

nut and seed granola 4

No Bake Granola Bar Bites

017editedsmall

51 Comments

1. How long do you think it will last if it’s vacuum sealed in a plastic bag or mason jar? I’m thinking about Christmas gifts but don’t want to wait until the last minute to make it.

1. I haven’t tried vacuum sealing this granola myself so I can’t say for sure, I would guess up to 6 months though. Let me know how it goes!

2. Amanda · · Reply

I just made this. It is amazing! I added some pecans to the mix. It is great with yogurt :)

1. So glad you liked it! I agree, I love it with yogurt! Its perfect for making little parfaits too!

2. I made it as a give for ski patrol. Layer plain yogurt, costco frozen fruit and granola on top. Hero of the day.. :)

1. That sounds FABULOUS Diane! I’m sure they all loved it! I’ll have to give it a try next time I make a batch!

3. Jennifer O. · · Reply

I love this! I now make a half recipe of this once a week as a topping for my fruit and yogurt. I add about 1/2 C of nuts, walnuts and/or almonds. I also double the cinnamon and salt. I have some in the oven right now and it smells soooo good!

4. Just made this , this morning. So easy and super yummy!! Thank u.

1. Thanks for letting me know Tracy! So glad you liked it!

5. Jennifer · · Reply

I made this today and I liked the flavor, but after it cooled it still wasn’t very crunchy (more chewy). I was hoping for a really crunchy granola.

1. Sorry Jennifer! I’ll have to double check my baking times. Everytime I’ve made it the granola is crunchy.

6. Would leaving it unstirred in the pan result in crunchy granola bars? How long would they need to bake to be bars? My sister and I loved a name brand crunchy cinnamon kind, and they no longer make it. Looking for something to relpace it.

1. Julie, unfortunately no, making granola bars is not so simple, they usually have additional ingredients like rice cereal. But also I’m not sure that the amounts are correct to make granola bars and would worry that you would just end up with burnt granola. Sorry.

7. What would the shelf life of this be you think? It looks sooo yummy so I doubt it’ll last long, but just in case I’m the only one that likes it lol!

1. I would guess a week or two, but I haven’t had it last that long. Let me know if you do.

8. i am a nurse and a patient made this for us as a thank you and we hogged the whole giant container she made us down! It was fabulous. Stupid question but at what point do you add dried fruit, coconut? After cooking, when you are stirring?

1. What a great gift idea! I’m glad you found us! You’ll want to add dried fruit in after the granola is baked. If you have coconut flakes or bigger pieces you can have it bake with the granola, I’d put it in maybe half way through (unless you don’t like it toasted), but shredded you should add after its baked. And I would add nuts or seeds while you are baking, cause I think they would be great toasted too. Let me know if you have other questions.

9. Melinda · · Reply

Im making this now. Im using coconut oil instead. It smells so good I can’t wait to try it.

10. Love this recipe but I guess my oven is way hot. I’ve had to reduce my oven temp quite a bit. And I use quick oats maybe that’s why?

1. Quick oats could definitely make a difference because they are pressed to be thinner so that they’ll cook faster. Whenever I make it I just watch closely to make sure it doesnt burn, but a lower temperature is fine too.

11. Christine · · Reply

I’ve made it 3 times now, it’s super easy, crunchy and sooo good!!!! Don’t even want to try other recipes this one is so good

12. I did the math and this is 164 calories per 1/4 cup!

1. It’s interesting how granola is perceived as healthy, but when you look at the calories its usually higher than a lot of the sugary cereals.

13. Colleen · · Reply

I used coconut oil as well. I also added coconut and sliced almonds. I made one batch with gluten free oats for a friend and one batch with quick oats. Both turned out great! Thanks for the perfect base recipe!

14. Linda Singleton · · Reply

I have used this recipe as my basic go to recipe. I’ve tried others but always go back. Of course I modify with almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and coconut. I stir only once. Keep close watch on the time. Can’t beat it! Thanks Aimee!

15. Thanks for this recipe! I was searching for a basic granola recipe, and this is perfect. I substituted coconut oil for canola and maple syrup for the honey. After reading the other comments, I’ll add vanilla next time. Can’t wait to add dried cherries and chocolate chips. This is going to be great!

1. Thanks for letting me know. Its the perfect base recipe for granola I think, because its so easy to alter and add to!

16. I’ve been making my own granola for years, but in the last few months I’ve been playing around. One of the things that I changed from my original recipe is replacing some of the oil with coconut oil It seems to help it stay crunchier (in my opinion). My recipe also calls for 1 hr at 250, but I’ve started jacking my oven to closer to 300 and it’s perfect. Just some thoughts. This looks delicious!

1. I’ll have to try it with coconut oil next time, I love crunchy granola :)

17. Kelly Anderson · · Reply

Making this now for the 2nd time. Yummy! Only changes/additions is I use coconut oil and I add some good vanilla, ground flax seed and China seeds. Hubs requests it :). Would be good with craisins (but hubby is allergic) & dark chocolate chips but it is already a good sweet. I enjoy as a cereal with fresh/frozen berries and in yogurt parfait. LOVE it!!

1. Kelly Anderson · · Reply

^Chia seeds^

18. Will olive oil or vegetable oil work? I don’t have any canola oil on hand and this will be my first time ever trying to make granola. Yours looks delicious by the way :)

1. I would try vegetable oil, I use it pretty interchangeably with canola oil. However olive oil has a pretty distinct and different taste so I don’t think it would work very well!

1. Christine · ·

I’ve been using olive oil for mine, tastes great!

19. Made this today!! Soooo good! My husband already had a bowl like cereal, loves it! I added sliced almonds and coconut! It was so easy to make! Thanks for sharing! !

20. Stir every 15 min? Shouldn’t it be getting… .un-stirrable?

1. Kelly, you aren’t going to be stirring it like a bowl of soup, but you can mix everything around on the pan. Remember this is granola, not granola bars, we want clusters not a big clump. Let me know if you try it!

21. Just made this, added some Nutella, some sunflower seeds, chopped walnuts and will add golden raisins when it has cooled. Had a little taste already, it is awesome and I will make it again. Thank you.

22. This looks amazing! Totally making this in the morning :) Question: Roughly how many calories are in a serving? TIA!!!

1. I don’t know how big an actual serving would be, but I put it in my recipe magic that it makes 16 servings and they said each serving is 240 calories.

23. I am making this right now and it smells SOOO good! I am hopeful that it is going to crunch up well once cooled. It doesn’t look so crunchy right now.

1. Ro, I hope you like it. The first time I made it I cooked mine a little longer than I would have because it wasn’t getting crunchy, and it never really did. Until it started to cool. Then it got nice and crunchy :)

24. Can you use quick cool oats??

1. Do you mean quick cook oats? I think you should be able to use them. Though since they do cook faster I would check your granola earlier so they don’t burn.

25. I just made this for my family. Instant new favorite. I added unsweetened shredded coconut and some home dehydrated berries. So delicious! ! Thank you

1. Yum! I definitely want to try some new mixins next time and coconut and dried berries sound so good. Thanks for the suggestion, and so glad you liked it!!

26. Irving Schmidt · · Reply

This homemade granola is pretty easy to make and is great served on yogurt with fresh cut strawberries. It definitely beats my typical “cereal” breakfast. This also makes a great little snack as well. Top with cool whip and you’ve got yourself a nice little treat.

27. This looks delicious, and it sounds super easy – thank you.

1. It is easy and delicious, thanks Audra!

28. That looks so crunchy & yummy! I bet my kids would eat it plain like potato chips!

1. Amber, it is really crunchy and perfect! Let me know if you try it and what you and your kids think!

We love hearing from you! Leave a comment and let us know what you think, or if you have any questions! We will try and respond as quickly as we can!